Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been lurking on this board for a little while - even posted a couple of times! I'm 36 weeks tomorrow. I'm curious how other ladies slowly got back into shape after having your babies. Right now, I'm planning on starting with building up to a good walk. I have some video tapes - from easy to more intense - including a yoga video. I KNOW how to eat properly - I studied nutrition intensely for years. My problem is (sound familiar anyone) emotional eating. Well, that and my husband. I am all geared up to to be a stone wall though - LOL. He could stand to get a little healthier, too! Anyway, I'm wondering how you all got into the "being healthy" (I am not focusing on losing weight) groove after giving birth?

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seriously, NOBODY got in shape postpartum - on a Mothering board?
Somebody has to have some personal experience to share with me! What worked - what didn't.... Come on..... anybody??? I'm actually starting to get a little excited about getting back into shape (which is a switch because I've been depressed about this being my last pregnancy!).

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
hey there! with the search function being down, it was hard to keep up with the board. once a thread went to the second page of a forum, it was as good as gone!

i did yoga and walked throughout my pregnancy, so i was able to start back up with those relatively quickly. ds was fairly colicky, so getting him in the sling and getting OUT of the house was good for everyone. i started running - 1/2 a mile at first - around 2 months out.

with food, i found it helped a LOT to make sure that you have easy, quick, and healthy meals and snacks available. nursing takes a LOT of energy out of you in the first few weeks. it seemed like i was ravenous all day long. if whole wheat crackers, cheese, cut vegetables, and fruit are available, it's just as easy to dig into those as into a bag of chips, for example. same thing with meals - in the weeks leading up to my due date and after, i bought food a few steps closer to its end result, than i normally would - the bags of cut vegetables, pre-grated cheese, jarred salsa - so we could get a healthy dinner together faster, rather than sending someone out for deli sandwiches or fast food.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I am 8 mo pp now, and only just getting back into my exercise routine. How quickly you get back to it and what you do will depend largely on the kind of birth you have. I was all set to get back on the exercise wagon at 4 weeks pp then blammo - I had the birth from hell and lost nearly 2 litres of blood. I was anemic for months, bled for 10 weeks post-partum (the rule of thumb is you can start exercising once your bleeding has stopped), and I went through a nasty bout of postpartum depression due to a low milk supply. All in all, I was a mess for about 4 months and it took another 4 to recover emotionally enough to separate myself for 2 hours at a time from my baby so I could go to the gym. At which point it was less like postpartum exercise and more like exercise after a long period of inactivity - so I just went back to my 20-25 minutes of cardio and a beginner weights workout. I have another 2 weeks of that, then I'll hike my cardio up to 30 minutes and go back to the intermediate weight training I was doing before I got pregnant.

I'm not saying you won't be able to start exercising soon after having your baby - just don't beat yourself up too hard if you can't. And as the pp said, make sure you have lots of healthy snacks around because you WILL be ravenous, and trapped on the couch nursing for the first two months at least. You will be shocked at how much and how long a newborn can nurse for! Oh, and drink lots of water, too.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spughy
You will be shocked at how much and how long a newborn can nurse for!
Well, since this is #4, I don't think I'll be too shocked!
But, you're right! I'm sorry you had such a rough time. What a tough recovery!

Healthy snacks is definitely something I'll have to be careful of. I'm really good about having healthy MEALS, but the snacks I don't think about ahead of time. I figure I'll put Little Bean in the sling and walk before I start any other exercise. Walking is so easy because it's really easy to gauge where you're at physically, KWIM? I watched a Denise Austin video that my mom found for me at a garage sale last night. It looks really low impact and it only 20 minutes long. I imagine that will be the next thing I integrate - as soon as I feel up to it.

Okay, so I'll put thought into having healthful snacks and definitely remember to dig out the BIG water jug! Thanks for your input ladies. Thinking about postpartum fitness is kind of helping me not dwell on the sadness of this being my last babe. I enjoy exercise, and I certainly love the feeling of being in shape - so I can focus on that some even it if will be a while before I'll actually be able to "work out."

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Doh. Shoulda looked at your sig. Mommy brain strikes again!

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spughy
Doh. Shoulda looked at your sig. Mommy brain strikes again!
I do it all the time!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have a 9 month old, and am a runner. I ran until I was five months along, then had to stop for the remainder of my pregnancy. i started running again when my baby was 12 days old. I did a 15K when she turned 8 weeks, and a full marathon (my PR for marathon) when she was almost 8 months. I started with intervals and slowly got my running intervals longer and longer.
You can totally do it...much faster than you may think.

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Well I can't help you much as I am in the middle of it too... but I am in CO also and just wanted to say hello to my fellow mom!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts