Postpartum hair loss isn't commonly discussed, but it's a normal occurrence.
Postpartum hair loss isn't commonly discussed, but it's a normal occurrence around three months postpartum. Luckily, it does come to an end in a few months.

Around three months postpartum, I notice my brush fills up with hair faster. The shower drain is full of hair more often, and hair covers my pillow. Postpartum hair loss began, and I start my least favorite part of the postpartum season.

Related: Healing After Childbirth: The Importance of Postpartum Ceremony

It seems as if this is one side effect no one mentions! We know to expect hormones, bleeding, and sore breasts, but no one tells you that it will feel as if you will lose all of your hair.

What Causes Postpartum Hair Loss?

Postpartum shedding is normal, but you might start to panic. Don't! Your hair will stop shedding, and everything will be back to normal by your baby's first birthday. The condition is called postpartum alopecia, and it typically begins around three months after you have your baby.

An average warm sheds 100 hairs per day. Our hair has a system. 85 to 95 percent of our hair is actively growing. The remaining amount is in a resting stage, and the strands fall out eventually, typically during a shower or while brushing.

During pregnancy, you have higher estrogen levels in your body that encourage the growing stage. Many mothers notice that their pregnancy hair is thicker and longer than before. Fewer hairs fall out during pregnancy, and you get to enjoy thick, gorgeous hair.

Related: Self-Care Postpartum: 5 Ways to Take Care of Yourself After Giving Birth

After the birth of your child, those high estrogen levels take a straight plunge, and more hair follicles enter the resting stage. So, you will experience more hairs come out than before. Some attribute the hair loss to breastfeeding, but there is no evidence to support this belief. Nearly all mothers will experience some degree of postpartum hair loss, no matter if they breastfeed or not.

Does It Ever End?

Yes, postpartum alopecia DOES end. It lasts for a few months and should be over by the time your baby turns a year old. The worst period is between three and five months.

No, you won't go bald completely, even though it feels like it at the time.

What Can I Do to Help?

Unfortunately, because postpartum hair loss is hormone related, you cannot stop it from happening. You can try different products! A hair thickener or a mousse should give your hair a fuller look. Try these other simple tips:

1. Get a New Cut

A visit to the stylist is worth it. For those with long hair, a layered cut hides the baby hairs growing. You will want to shorten the front of your hair to hide the loss.

2. The Right Products

Products such as a volumizing mousse give your hair the look of fullness even with the excessive shedding.

3. Color It Up

To give your hair more body, add coloring to your hair. Dark hair can hide a receding hairline. Glossing gives all-over shine.

4. Add Texture

Straight, sleek hair will make the thinning obvious. Curly or wavy hair will give your hair a lift and make any hair loss less obvious. For those with naturally straight hair, try curling it with velcro rollers, or let your hair dry in braids to give it a texturized wave.