Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi midwives,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am a midwife myself, and looking for some insight into my own postpartum laceration healing.  I haven't seen it happen this way much with clients, but here's the story: I am exactly 5 weeks postpartum with my second baby, had an epis for bradycardia (FHR in the 60s and lower) and thus had a 2nd degree laceration, which was repaired.  I have been puzzled by the on and off red bleeding I've had, worse with exertion.  Had a few exams postpartum which showed normal wound healing, but today my midwives discovered that although the perineum is healed, the internal portion of the tear hasn't closed and is bleeding still--not heavily, but on and off, necessitating a change of pad maybe once or twice a day.  No sign of infection, and doesn't communicate with the rectum, but is still somewhat deep.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Question: how would you manage this?  The plan we came up with was to take it easy, put honey on the tear, herbal sitz baths (again), seaweed in the tear, and try to air out at nighttime for 3 days, and if that is ineffective try full bedrest for a couple of days.  Would you consider suturing at this point, or is it too late, and just let it slowly heal on its own?  I'm pretty bummed out about this, and want to be further along on the road to recovery than I, in fact, am.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for your input.</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts