Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use? Do you use what the hospital provides? Infant/preemie prefolds? Regular pads? Super? with wings? What? I'm at a loss as to what to buy... I bought a couple packages of the overnight seventh generation, but from the little research I did, I may not need them that thick beyond a few days/weeks?

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
In the past I used heavy duty super overnight disposable pads with wings. I didn't yet know about cloth pads.

This time I'm planning to use a combination of prefolds and cloth pads. I'm a pretty heavy bleeder and plan to use the prefolds in the first few days and then switch over to my cloth pads.

One thing I HATED about the postpartum weeks after my DS's birth and my DD's birth was how irritated my labia, etc. got from the disposable pads. I just don't deal well with the paper stuff.

ETA: What thickness you use really depends upon the lochia flow, activity level, body shape/size, etc. I need a super long heavy/thick pad with wings for several weeks, but then I bleed much slower for about a total of 6 weeks. At least half of that time a regular pad works well for me.

·
Registered
51,189 Posts
You should be fine with what you have it seems. Some women have lots of lochia but I only had just a tad heavier than my heaviest menstrual flow for the first few days. It tapered off to heavy flow that lasted to about the end of the second week. Then it wavered down to moderate. I used cloth pp pads and then regular cloth afterwards.

I do recommend having at least a few disposable newborn diapers on hand. You'll want to put the herbs you strain off for the sitz bath brew on top of a sposie and sit on it. It's so soothing. We also wait to use cloth dipes until the meconium is all past because I just don't like the way our washer handles the stuff.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I found the thick pads really uncomfortable when I sat up at night to nurse.This time I've made my own cloth ones that I can fold into thirds if I need it or I can leave them less folded if the thickness bothers me.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i think it really does differ from person to person. i did fine with regular sized disposable pads both times, from the beginning. just changed the more frequently in that first week.

but this time, a friend of mine is making me some post partum cloth pads
i'm really excited, because the paper ones irritate me to no end but i knew i would never get around to making any myself. i already have a bunch of cloth pantyliners that i use for AF along with my diva cup, so i figure after the flow tapers down i'll switch to those - and i figure they'll also be useful as doublers in the very beginning if the pads my friend makes can't quite handle the flow.

i'm sure what you have will be fine at least in the beginning. then you can get a handle on what your needs are and go from there.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I ordered 4 pp cloth ones from a co-op, I bought a box of Natracare overnights to take to the hospital with me, just incase I have to stay overnight I don't want to use their non natural pads.

I also have some regular cloth pads that I made for lighter duty after the heavy bleeding stops. I don't remember how long or much I bled with dd.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
a longtime doula I know and respect says, 'always avoid always' when it comes to pp paddage

I plan to use some chux (lying/sitting on 'em) the first few days, and then some naturacare pads for the rest.

I also realized that in case my water breaks before labor starts, I might want to use a few pads for that reason.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I'm a gusher, so I need giant pads. Plus, I have problems with the blood building up while I'm sitting or lying down and then gushing all over when I stand up. When I had DD in the hospital, I had these giant, almost chux-sized dispoable pads, and I still bled down my leg every time I stood up to go to the bathroom.

As much as I dislike disposable pads, I may use some giant hospital-style pads, Depends, and chux pads the first couple days, and then switch to infant prefolds and then to heavy cloth pads.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's opinions and help! I think I'm going to buy a couple more packages of the seventh generation in the super long and hope that tides me over until I can either order more online after the baby's born, or go to the health food store a few towns over to get some. No place around here sells any natural pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.