Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any veggies that do well being grown in pots ?

I will have a greenhouse this spring, but no space for an outdoor, in-ground garden.

I know I want to do some tomatos, and that they can be potted. Beyond that, I have no idea. I have never gardened before.

Do peppers do well in pots ?
Peas ?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Peppers do very well in pots. The only thing I've found when growing tomatoes or bell peppers in pots is that the fruit is smaller. However, the flavor was very intense
Chili peppers do very well and I have not noticed a huge difference in size of the fruit. You would want a pretty big pot for tomatoes, and probably do best with a determinate variety as opposed to indeterminate. I used composted manure right in the pots and sometimes gave them an epsom salt bath (magnesium), along with organic fetilizer now and then. Just like other potted plants, nutrients leach out due to frequent watering, so feed well. However, I have never raised potted vegetables to fruition in a greenhouse, only my seedlings, so that may be a whole 'nother ballgame
I would think eggplants could do well, Herbs of all sorts (you wouldn't want to over fertilize herbs as it diminishes flavor)

Peas do well in pots and you would only have to give them a small trellis, also there are some bush cucumbers that are supposed to do well in pots, but haven't tried them. There is also a way to grow potatoes in large containers, by planting them and then filling the container up with soil as the plants and tubers grow. However, I am not specific on the method, you could do a search for it

I think you are going to have a wonderful garden in your greenhouse
The plants will be so well protected. Watch for signs of disease in the moist environment, you will want to catch it quickly, as tomatoes diseases spread like wildfire! I am obsessed with tomatoes, LOL!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why the large pot for tomatos ? Large as in deep, or large as in wide, or both ? (would a rubbermaid container work ? One of those 60 L ones ?)

Peas on a trellis actually sounds pretty as well as tasty !!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I did climbing cucumbers in pots last summer, just ran string up behind the pots and let the cucumbers climb. We had lots until the squash vine borer came along. My broccoli did great in pots too, better than in the garden. And lettuce, and beans. Really, I think almost anything can be grown in a pot as long as it's well cared for. I've done eggplants, and they were prolific. As Shaywyn said, peppers do great. I'm not going to bother wasting precious garden space on them anymore, as they have done so well in pots for me. Big pots really help in hot weather, because they retain a lot more moisture. And don't be intimidated by all the potting soil recipes out there. As long as there are some nutrients in your mix (compost, manure...) your plants will be just fine.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I *might* be able to get my hands on some compost.

I really know NOTHING about gardening at all - been a city-dwelling, country-at-heart, girl all my life.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you - I've bookmarked the sites to look through as soon as I get the chance.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Liza Bear, don't worry. I'm a city girl myself, didn't even know what a perennial was until about 3 years ago. We started out with a small container garden, and put in raised beds last spring. I was surprised how easy gardening is. It just takes some enthusiasm. Most things work out, given a little water and sun. The year dd was born, we never watered anything, and still somehow got some tomatoes. (Well, they were tough.) Just feel free to experiment. If you don't have compost, you can buy manure or mushroom compost at the garden store. Good luck.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Oh--since you say you really don't know anything, here are 2 recipes for container mix:

1/3 manure
1/3 sand
1/3 peat moss

or:

1/3 manure or compost
1/3 perlite
1/3 peat moss

both of these have worked for me. The measurements are very approximate.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I am a former avid gardener (parents had a large sunny yard). I am going to try my hand at a "Pot Garden." My biggest concern is how shaded my yard is during the summer due to all of the neighbors' trees.

We are going to start out with 4 or 5 big rubbermaid totes and see what I can accomplish in my little patches of sun. I hope to expand as I figure out how much growing space I have and is if I can try my hand at some shade gardening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.