Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about planting potatos that I'm hoping you ladies can help with!<br><br>
I have some store-bought, locally grown potatos that sprouted my my pantry. Can I plant those? If so, how do I do it since they have already sprouted?<br><br>
Or do I need to buy seed potatos? Where would I find something like that locally? A farmer?<br><br>
How do I plant them exactly? Do I plant the entire potato or just sections of it? Do I build a dirt pile around it or is it flat in the ground? Should I add anything to the soil?<br><br>
What can I do to deter potato bugs and other pests?<br><br>
Where in the garden should they go? We will also have green beans, peas, cukes, tomatos, radishes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sunflowers, glads, possibly corn and squash.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You can try planting them. If they are 2 inches in diameter or less, you can just plant them whole. If they are larger than that, cut them into approx 2 inch pieces, each with at least one eye. Put the cut pieces outside in the shade where it is not wet for 24 hours to get a "skin" on the cut part (if you plant them directly after cutting the cut part might mold).<br><br>
Plant them about 2-3 inches deep. When the green leafy part reaches about five inches, "hill" them (put soil or straw on top) until only 1 inch of green leaf shows. Do this throughout the growing season. If the potatoes are exposed to air, they will turn green, and green potatoes have a toxin in them. That is why you hill them.<br><br>
You might be able to get seed potatoes at a local farmer's supply store. We ordered ours online from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
What she said is perfect<br>
You can leave the sprouts on - any potato that is sprouting should grow a plant (most sore bought potato's that travel any distance are sprayed with a sprout preventor - so they won't grow) So your potatos will be fine as they have sprouts.<br>
As far as bugs - there is little you can do to prevent them comming but if you just have a small plot they are easily controled with a mix or Diotomatious earth and hot pepper. And manual control - walk through the plants daily - pick off adults and check the underside of the leaves for egg bundles - remove the leaves that contain eggs. IF you do get alot of bugs then walking through the row with a stick and pail and batting the plants (hard enough to knock the bugs of but not damage the plants) works well.<br>
We used to grow an acre of Organic potato's when I was a child and I remeber that bug detail took about 20min for 2 of us each day so on a small plot it will not take much time at all.<br>
There is nothing that will beat fresh from the garden new potato's - served along side fresh picked corn on the cob both dripping in butter - ahh the dreams of August.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts