Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of going back to work. We've recently relocated back to an area and I'm re-joining the same company/group and will have the same boss. Originally, I told my boss that I'd start as soon as we found a home and moved in.....but as it happens, the market is so picked over that we aren't finding anything we like and will remain in a temporary housing situation. My boss is desperate for me to start as soon as I can, so here's what happened. One of my co-workers lined up 2 nannies for the summer. K. the college-aged daughter of my boss, and another nanny. Even though K. was my co-workers first choice, she did commit to the other nanny first, so K. was offered to me by my boss. My boss told me that K. needed the job and would be happy to have it. I called K. and she sounded very excited and very flexible and basically told me that she would do it. Because K. and I live about an hour apart right now, we've been finalizing details on the phone. In order to expedite some things, I sent her a "document" containing expectations, family information, pay structure, etc. I found out what my co-worker was going to pay K., and matched it.<br><br>
K. read over the document and isn't backing out YET, but she feels like the position might be expecting too much of her and feels quite structured. But as we were talking things through, she said that the pay feels low to her. Not that it matters, but I have one less child than the co-worker that originally retained her. In a nut shell, I told her that while I had some flexibility with the expectations (but I have really kept this to a minimum), I had very little flexibility with the pay......She said she wanted time to think about it and would call me back this evening.<br><br>
Sooooo........I'm feeling very nervous about the situation and need to handle this delicately because she is the daughter of the boss. He WANTS K. to take the job because she needs a job and he needs me to start working. But I don't want her to take this job under any type of pressure because it would be a bad situation for everyone........<br><br>
Thoughts on what I should try to say/figure out when she calls me tonight?<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can't imagine being comfortable with the daughter of my boss being my nanny-- my privacy boundaries are pretty tight. Also, if you need to fire her, if she sucks, etc, you run into a whole lotta issues.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.....but the nanny position would only be for the summer. Once the kids start school in fall - and she goes back to school -- that will be it.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
hrm...<br><br>
Is she traveling farther than she would be with the other position? Is this a live-in position?<br><br>
Also, you have to take care of YOU. Just as potential employees have the option of searching out several positions at one time, potential employers have the option of searching out multiple candidates. Yo uare in search of the best match for you and your family. Choosing a nanny who will fit with your family and family structure is a difficult task. Don't settle.<br><br>
Have you tried <a href="http://www.nanny4hire" target="_blank">www.nanny4hire</a>. com? I believe it is a free service that connects families with nannies.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are closer to her than the other family - and it would be a live-out position, just like it was for the other family.<br><br>
I spoke to K. tonight. Basically she determined that it would be too much for her to do the job - which is ok with me. I think she was planning on a job where the kids were in front of the TV and she could talk on the phone or have friends over pretty much the entire day. My expectations were different, obviously. Thank goodness I'm finding out about this now. I'm relieved that she is the one that backed out, because I was very uncomfortable that she was uncomfortable with my written expectations and I'm not sure how I would have communicated that to my boss (her father.)<br><br>
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts