Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My almost one-year-old unvaxxed daughter developed a wet cough and cold (runny nose, red eyes) in the afternoon on Monday with a low grade fever. We did a hot bath, bone broth, onion poultice, and nursed a ton. The cough and runny nose have stayed and this evening it was sounding worse. There were two episode of what I would call spasmodic coughing that resulted in gagging noises and a little gasping for air. She obviously has a lot of mucus in her nose (I'm sucking 3-4 times a day) and throat. I'm on the fence about whether this is truly whooping cough, but it wouldn't surprise me (we haven't been to see our Doctor yet as I was waiting for her to come around a bit on her own). She is also teething hardcore, so it's hard to tell what is what.

Regardless, I'm starting her on a high daily Vit C/Sodium Ascorbate dosage (as well as hubby and I; I think he has the cold that gave it to her), as well as other supplementation (herbs, tea, broth, kefir, etc.). I do have a few questions though.

First of all, I'd love to help her get out some of mucus she's coughing up, but she tends to just swallow it down again before I can get my fingers in her mouth. Any suggestions on how to encourage the mucus out?

And second, I know that the big worry with Pertussis is pneumonia/secondary infections. What are the signs that I should look for to indicate that a secondary infection is a concern? I'm happy to use antibiotics at that point, I'm just curious as to what will change or differ.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Registered
Have you read http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2012/09/07/vitamin-c-for-whooping-cough-updated-edition-suzanne-humphries-md/

Also maybe consider some eucalyptus or tea tree essential oils either in her bath,humidifiers, and/or topically. It truly can work wonders for congestion. Also, id cut out sugar, its absolutly horrible for the immune system. I'm not sure what kefir youre using, some have a whole lot of sugar. From Susanne s article, she makes it sound like whooping cough will reapond to her vit c schedule by clearing up significantly to allow more normal breathing, but the whooping comes back when vit c is decreased bc pertussis is a toxin mediated disease and the vit c helps get rid of the toxin. So that's one way to tell. Other than that, maybe letting her doc listen to her cough, a good one should be able to tell if it's the classic whooping sound. So sorry she's not feeling well and i couldnt answer your last two questions馃槥

Registered
We've been battling a cold in our house lately. Im the only one who hasn't caught it. My daughter 4 who is not vaccinated was had a lot of symptoms that was whooping cough... She woke up one night with a fever coughing and choking and then threw up we took her to the ER( which was packed with people with the flu) I told the doctor everything and asked if it could be whooping cough... He reassured me it wasn't, I guess they get a news letter saying if there's whooping cough in the area, and it's a spring thing. She ended up having and ear infection and a viral cold... She's been throwing up bc of the extra mucus. Now my Ds has the cold again he's 6 months and is taking anything but is ebf. A few things that help is ... A humidifier, emergen c packets, good belly probiotic drink, and elderberry syrup. For a price of mind you could always go into the docs office:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts