Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am being laid off from my job in my current location, but may have the opportunity to take a position in the Wichita area. Can you ladies tell me a little about Wichita?

- What do you like?
- What do you hate?
- Are there areas of town I should stay away from? (I am a single mom, so I am definitely budget conscious. It seems like several apartment complexes are on the affordable side, but they don't seem to be super concentrated in one area. Where I currently live, usually the cheaper areas will attract trouble, but I can't really pinpoint where that would be in Wichita.)
- What are your favorite things to do in town?
- Is Wichita a friendly area?
- How often/much does it snow?

I am sure there is more. I am very nervous about moving....
So, help me either be more or less comfy.

Oh, and do any of you have a recommendation for an in-home daycare or sitter? I have been watching craigslist for possibilities, but thought I might could get a recommendation here.

If I do move, it will be sometime between the end of January and the end of March.

Thanks!
Rebekah

(I posted this in another thread, but after thinking it over, it seems it needs its own thread.
)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
which side of town are you looking at? East or West? I think the two sides are extremely different, plus it will help narrow down your apartment search a little bit.

I used to live on the East side, and its very strangely set up. There are lower income areas right in the middle of nicer areas. The lines between good neighborhoods and bad are blurry.

My favorite things to do were go to the zoo (west side) and go to the movies. Old town is cool too, which is downtown. With the kids we took them to the local park a lot, and the nature center. I know other people will have more ideas, my kids were young when i lived there. I didn't think there was a ton to do with kids.

I hope other people chime in. I lived in wichita for five years, but i never settled in because i knew we'd be leaving . Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your response!

The location of my employment is in the SW area. I have found an apartment complex that seems to be walking distance (at least biking distance) from Old Town, is on the river, and a block from a park -- and is only a mile and a half from work. But, I have also considered living in Derby.

I received some materials from the Visitor's Bureau that gave me an idea of a lot of things to do in and near town. It seems like a nice area.

A lot of my worries center around blindly moving to an area of town that might be more dangerous. And, tornadoes, too....

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward the move. I am still a little nervous, but I think it is more about the change and fear of the unknown.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Rebekah, I have lived here all my life. It has it's good and bad. I am just finding a good community of AP based moms to hang with. I think there are a good amount of us here the challenge is just finding them. We live on the east side and I like it but again I've lived here my entire life and have mostly been a east sider. There are lots of things to do with little people if you are looking for that. We love the zoo. In warmer weather we are there often. A year membership is around 80$. The Exploration Place is also cool. But we also have really great parks, nature trails and such. Let me know if you decide to move here we could get together and hang! Or if you need any other info on housing and such I'm willing to help if I can.~Laura

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.