Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
dd1 will be 3 in Spetmeber. We did EC very casually from about 4-6 months on, and by 18 mos she was signalling to us when she needed to go. But we moved when she was two, then had a baby when she was almost 2 1/2, so she's had a lot of major changes in her life. Each time things settle down, she gets more consistent: Once we settled into the new house, she had fewer 'accidents', just in time for a new sister to throw things off again. Well, we're still recovering from the baby. She wets the bed almost every night, we're going through 3-4 pairs of pants each day, she has more "misses" than our ec'd infant some days!
I've posted about this before, but most of the advice is about backing up. But, she will NOT wear diapers. She hasn't for 6 months, in fact, when we first moved, getting her into a diaper for nighttime was such a struggle (it would take an hour of screaming sometimes, and I told dh I felt like we were violating her, so we stopped it), that's why we went to diaperless nights. She has had several periods of dry nights for days or weeks, but right now we're in an 'off' time I guess.

How can I encourage her in a healthy way? Both dh and I sometimes react poorly, and I know that's a problem, but it's hard not to after so long having to clean up so many messes.
I'd like to find some bedwetter pad too.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She often doesn't seem bothered by it, maybe somewhat at night, but one odd thing is she will sometimes refuse to take off her wet pants... maybe she *likes* being wet?

We already did the rewards thing when dd2 was first born, m&m's then stickers, and it only worked for as long as we gave them, and for a little while after. I don't want to go back to them because I'm in the middle of reading Alfie Kohn's book "Punished by Rewards" and I agree with what he's saying.

As far as 'taking' her anywhere, she's just not that kind of kid...
And naked? she usually is. And you're right about accidents and our relationship.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.