Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious... at roughly what age do ec babies reach potty independence? and how about indicating the need to go -i mean asl sign or saying potty, not the wiggling, squirming type of sign.

the other day i had my 14mo ds in undies running around the house and when he came over to me wiggling and whining i asked him if he needed to go potty and he took off running for the bathroom and i followed him and helped him go. this was a first, and very exciting. normally it's more of an intuition or wiggling/whining that tells me he needs to go. and when he's running around the house in his prefold -no cover- he usually comes and whines to me after he's peed cause he doesn't like being wet.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
During the year between 1 and 2, my DD gradually started indicating her need to go more and more. By the time she was about 1 1/2, I could count on her to let me know if she needed to pee during the night. (She'd say "ssss.") But I still needed to be the main one to decide when to take her to the bathroom during the day until just after she turned 2.

As far as potty independence, DD is nearly 4 and still isn't what I would call completely independent, though she's close. She doesn't just go without telling us, but she can get her pants up and down and wipe and flush (when she feels like it.) I could probably just tell her to go by herself if only we didn't usually have our toilet paper in a place where it's hard for her to reach it (to keep it from the baby.)

To have potty independence at a much younger age, I guess you'd have to have a nakey-butt toddler, and rely on a little potty more than the big toilet. But for us it usually seemed more practical to have pants on DD, and to use the big toilet with an insert so we could just flush everything away. I didn't much care if I needed to go with her whenever she peed.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
DS started coming up to me and doing the wiggling/whining thing at around maybe 11mo. Then once he started walking at 12.5mo he would sometimes head for the potty on his own when I asked him if he needed to go. Now he's 15.5mo and the other night my parents were over for dinner and I saw him run towards the back hall but I didn't get up right away because he hadn't given any signals and I didn't realize he was heading for the bathroom. Soon (maybe 30 seconds) I heard him fussing and when I got up to check him I found he'd tried to sit down on his BBLP and poop but didn't quite make it - there was poop everywhere but it was all in the bathroom! I was soooo proud of him for taking the initiative to get himself to the potty! This latest behaviour is still infrequent but it's really cool when he just totally gets it. He's never signed for the potty with any consistency, and he's not really verbal yet - he will say "puh puh" while he's going but not to indicate that he needs to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts