Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!<br>
We are loosely following "Diaper Free by Three" and it's working out great. We have a routine for pottying and he goes 5 or 6 times a day. We started when he was 18 mos and he is 25 mos now. He never tells us he has to go (never fussed when his diaper was wet/dirty either) but I just found out that he tells his grandma to take him to the potty when she watches him at bedtime because she did not realize he goes right before bed. It is obvious that he holds it for the potty, he often has a dry dipe and pees a lot when we do put him on the potty. He is very very verbal but behind on gross motor skills, so we always figured the asking/telling would be easy and the physically peeing in the potty might be hard. Nope. He pretty much doesn't tell us, but he knows we will be sitting on the potty soon enough so he holds it, I think. Oh, he pretty much only pees in the potty, pooping has been a little more spotty.<br><br>
I guess I'm not sure how to proceed from here. He already regressed once and we didn't sweat it and he went back to what he is doing now.<br><br>
What do we do in public? He uses a little potty chair (a must because he likes to read on the potty for 10-20 minutes at a time) what does everyone else do? I have a car potty, but it's going to start getting scorching hot, so that won't work anymore.<br><br>
I feel like if we want to progress I can't put him in situations where he has to pee in his diaper because we don't put him on his potty chair.<br><br>
Any other advice on how to progress on this and potty learning in general?<br><br>
Oh, the potty routine grew out of putting him on the potty when he was already peeing, it wasn't an imposed time-schedule. We go first thing in the am, after breakfast, after snack etc. And every time I go I take him with me. It isn't every 45 minutes or a set interval.<br><br>
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
honestly, I think your best bet is to just start taking him to public toilets.<br><br>
We did the same with my dd. Even though she primarily used a baby bjorn at home, we used public toilets from a very early age.<br><br>
We EC'd her, but did not EC in public until sometime over a year old. I can't remember exactly. We almost always used a public toilet rather than the portable one in the car. We save that for times when a pubic toilet is not convenient or there isn't one, etc.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I go by the rule of thumb of, "If it's appropriate to change a kid there, it's appropriate to potty a kid there." We EC-ed, and my DD used a potty in public until she was somewhere between 2 and 2.5, and she could wait long enough to get to a public bathroom or home.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
The great thing about using a bush or what have you outside, is that they don't seem to require the 20 minutes on the potty that pottying at home often entails.<br><br>
Having a folding potty reducer in the diaper bag is a huge help too.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
can he pee standing up? i carry a mason jar or tupperware in my purse because there aren't many public bathrooms in my town and my car isn't running atm. it has a top so my kid isn't peeing on your lawn like that other person's dog does and people can just get over seeing little boy butt. i agree with the pp that it's stupid to get offended by a toddler pottying anywhere that changing a diaper would be okay.<br><br>
We've been lazy ecing since ds was 2 days old. He's not confused about there being certain situations where it's better to pee in a diaper than hold it and be miserable, but that's the way it's always been for him.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
We use public toilets. I just hold them over the potty. Well now Dd (2.5) has been sitting on the toilet herself for awhile. At home she likes to read books too, but when we're out and about she just goes and then wants to move on.<br><br>
Love that book by the way! We do some lazy ECing starting at ~2 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts