Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am just exhausted with the diapers.  I unfortunately didn't look into EC until it was well too late with DS.  He hates being wet, HATES having poop in his diaper, but when I go to change him things quickly break down into nightmare.  Every diaper change in our house is an event, and I want to start moving toward potty learning, but I don't know where to start.  So school me mamas!  Links to threads and articles about readiness and first steps, suggestions of books, personal stories about getting started, send them my way!  My current routine now requires both arms and a leg just to get a diaper on and off.  And that's only if there's no poop.  I'm pulling my hair out here, and would LOVE some direction.  Even if it's a few months down the road, I'd like at least a bit of a road map for where we're heading.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
<p>First step is get a potty, second step is give basic instructions on the use of the potty and encourage him to try, third step is let him decide when he's willing to give it a try. As for readiness, he should be able to tell you when he has to go, should be able to go down for a nap dry and wake up dry, should be able to pull his pants up and down on his own. There are probably other signs too but if there are I can't remember.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The number one rule of potty training is don't force it. The number two rule is never use shame, this can be hard at times, but it's important to make sure you don't associate going to the bathroom with bad feelings.</p>

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
<p>Also, remember to get a potty designed for boys or you risk him spraying everything in front of him and getting none in the potty, just until he remembers that he has to point it down every time.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts