Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My DS is 22 months and he tells us right after he pees or poops, we have a little potty for him and he sits on it but he has never went to the bathroom in it. I think he is ready to potty learn but I don't want to push him, and I don't want to keep waiting because what if in 3 months he decides he wants to stay in diapers? So I have been reading on here trying to figure out what to do, but I just cant figure it out, do I keep him in diapers and just take him to the potty every hour? Do I put him in underwear and take him to the potty every hour and just carry lots of extra clothes so if he pees in his underwear I can change him? I take him to work with me so I don't want him running around naked and going on the floors, at home I have wall to wall carpeting but I don't care if he messes up my carpet so on the weekend he could be naked or just in undies. I had the thought of when I go home on Friday to put him in undies or just let him be naked all the way til Sunday night so he can maybe learn to use the potty then, but I don't know if this is a good idea or if it will even help. If anyone has any links or any advice to offer I would be more than grateful for it. Thanks everyone!</p>

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Our approach was to do the naked or just in undies approach at home. I'd take them to the potty regularly, and also make sure they knew where it was so they could go on their own if they preferred. There were plenty of accidents, and we cleaned those up patiently. But when we were out of the house, somewhere where naked wasn't acceptable and accidents were really inconvenient, we stuck to diapers for a long time. I'd still take them to the potty regularly, even then, but I wouldn't stress too much over whatever they did in their diaper. Anyway, mine all learned just fine. They did it at very different ages, though. DD1 was 3. DD2 was 19 months. DS was about 2 1/2.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts