Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dd is 18 months and for the last two weeks has been bringing me diapers before she pees. She brings one after she poops too. Just now she brought me wipes and a diaper, then turned around and poopd
It's too early for a potty chair isn't it? She's crazy scary smart and I don't want to push her.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Lurking...

DD is 16.5 months and refuses to get into the tub until she either pee's or poo's on the floor next to the tub. Today, she took off her poopy diaper, walked into the other room and grabbed a baby wipe! I was just going to post a similar thread!

·
Registered
313 Posts
My method and advice is NO pants. It's easier with girls because you can put them in dresses. Of course, I use cloth training pants when going out in public, and I bring along a potty seat in a large tote bag for emergency trips to the public restroom. Consistency is the key ;-)

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
It's never too early! We started Ecing Elimination Communication) dd late, at about 10 months. Next baby will be ec'ed from birth. The thing is just being in tune with you babe (or in our case, just guessing!) and putting them on the potty, or over a sink (when they are little) and letting them pee there as opposed to in their diaper. We never used a little potty (they kind of gross me out) we just held her over the toilet when she was younger, and at about 17 months, she was able to straddle the toilet on her own. At 21 months, she was out of diapers, and it's been very easy to transition her. We had a handful of accidents the first week, but none since then. In the first 2 weeks, I took her to the potty every 2 hours or so. After then though, she was able to stop playing and hold it long enough to tell me and get to a bathroom. Let her go nakey butt and you can get a feel for how often she is peeing. Put her on the potty in the morning, and anytime you would normally change her. Turn the faucet on, the running water sometimes helps. And dont make a big deal out of her going. It's hard, I know. The first time dd went, I was so surprised! But the less I react, the more it is just a normal thing for her, which it should be. We never did treats or stickers or whatever for peeing on the potty, and it's worked out fine. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's never to early to introduce a potty. She is obviosly recognizing her need to eliminate, why not show her a better place than a diaper. You don't have to push, just offer, If she doesn't want to sit long enough to go, give her a special potty toy.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Not too early for a potty. I know more than one kids who was out of diapers by 18 months, and these are not people who even know what EC is. Some can learn that young, even with mainstream diapering techniques.

·
Registered
898 Posts
we let dd go w/o bottoms around the house, and one day around 2 1/2 she said she was done with diapers. She has been 100% potty trained since then. So I say when they can do "it all" by them selves is the easiest for child and parents.

·
Registered
774 Posts
DD is 19 mos old and has been potty trained for about 2 mos now. i started putting her on the potty at about 12 mos because she was waking up dry from naps. it wasn't long before she peed (maybe a week?). then i started putting her on first thing in the morning because she didn't have warm (recent) pee. eventually, i started trying throughout the day when i'd noticed she'd been dry for a while. (DD had vaginal adhesions, where the lips of her labia were fused together. i was always very aware of how long it had been since she peed since it was possible that they could fuse completly over her urethra and she'd be unable to pee. i think this worried mom awareness is part of why she's trained).

anyway, some days she'd pee on it a lot, others not at all. my goal was simply to make it a place she was comfortable peeing, so that when she was ready to potty train, we wouldn't have that fear of going somewhere new hurdle.

then, with thanksgiving, christmas, travel, and lots of being sick, we stopped altogether for about 2 months. about a week after we started again, she suddenly took my hand, said pee pee, and led me to the potty. she's been using it ever since (pee and poop), and i think has had maybe 3 accidents in 2 months. she's even dry overnight on most nights!

give it a go, it can't hurt as long as you don't push.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
A good friend just gave birth to her fourth on Tuesday, and her not-quite-two year old has suddenly started to throw a fit everytime you try to put a diaper on her. She wants to use the potty, but she's too little to balance on a toilet, so someone has to hold her there, but it can be 30 minutes from when she says "dirty coming" to when she actually goes. Needless to say, this was NOT a good week for her to decide to stop the diapers! But when they're ready, they're ready, I guess. My friend is afraid to discourage her now because she doesn't know when the next opportunity will come.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lurking too DD#2 is also 19 months, and has also asked to poop on the potty all of a sudden, she's gone 3x this week, and peed 1x. DD#1 PT'd at 2yrs. 4 months, so I was pretty surprised, but I'm all for early PT'ing. I'm not forcing the issue, but I am encouraging it. We have a seat that has steps up to the potty and a ring over the potty all in one. We usually look at a board book while she does her business. We'll see where it gets us! I'll be interested to see where others get to. DD#1 had interest at this age, but no awareness of actual elimination, we would sit for ages, reading books, to no avail, so we tried again when she was older. DD#2 seems to be initiating so....... who knows!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I was just coming to post about dd. She will be 2 in just over a month and suddenly hse is all about using the potty. She has been going bare at night (literally a t-shirt and nothing else) and each night she has remained dry. First thing in the morning, DS gets up to go potty (almost 4), so DD and I follow suit. It has become a nice routine. She goes without bottoms most of the day (save for trips to the park, library...). Tonight she ran up to me and says, "Mommy, I need to go peepee!" and ran straight past me to the potty
So, my question is should I go for training pants? She refuses to wear a diaper with few exceptions. She loves wearing pants (nothing under
). I try to have her in a dress if she's without bottoms, but some days it's just a shirt, nothing else. I am wondering if she might like the idea of "big girl pants."
Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
eeee!! I am too lazy in this regard. Ds loves to pee outside of his diaper, he saves the pee until I take it off... holds it while he's on the toilet then takes off like a rocket to do it on the floor around a corner and rub his hands in it. I get so frustrated with all the pee around I don't even bother sometimes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I suggest you check out the elimination communication thread under diapering, there will be lots of good suggestions for how to facilitate pottying, and if your child is eager, I would grab the opportunity. If you do research, the same Doctors who publish that children shouldn't be potty trained early are also tied to the diaper companies, who pay them for their helpful research which then of course supports the need for size four, five, six diapers....so I say if your child says she wants to use the toilet then she is her own expert and you'd do right by her to follow her lead! Good luck!!

Sarahfina

·
Registered
429 Posts
My dd is 18 months and sometimes tells me when she want to go potty, both poo and pee. I don't think it is too young if you don't pressure. I just want dd to be comfortable going on the potty, at which we are successful so far.

·
Banned
843 Posts
I don't think it is to young for a potty chair to be introduced, I would caution you though not to expect her to use it with consistency (just be happy if she does), and not to push her to use it if she resists. It may be that she goes to it happily for a few days and then changes her mind and refuses to even look at it. If that happens put it away and try again in a month or so.
If she takes right to the potty chair you might still have to encourage her to use it every few hours for a few months until she gets into the habit of doing it. I know this sounds like you are the one who is being trained, but if she will pee and poop in the toilet willingly then I don't think it really matters who is being trained. Besides that she will begin to pick up on where she needs to go potty when she feels the cues and will start to go eventually.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice mamas. I think I'll pick one up when I run out later. I would never ever push potty learning. Sort of a weird story and I'm not sure I believe it or not, but when I was pg with worked with an older lady who had a daughter my age. She had a lot of issues and a really rough time in life. She said the every time they saw a new psychologist they always asked the mom about potty training. She said she really pushed her daughter and thought that was the cause of alot of their issues. I'm not sure it's true, but I'm not willing to risk it!

Ds potty trained himself. He woke up one day and said "I'm wearing underpants today" and never went back. I doubt it will be that easy again, but I certainly won't push her!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.