Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My just 17-month-old has been talking a ton about the potty this weekend. So her nana bought her a whole bunch of Gerber training panties.(Gotta love those nanas.) So I have 9 pairs of panties for her. She tells me she peepees, not sure if it's when she's going or what, but I think it's after. And she used to tell me when she pooped. She doesn't now because she doesn't want me to change here. But she knows. I feel like she's a little young for PTing (that's probably the momma in me wanting her to saty my baby), but she seems ready. So what do I do? How often do I take her to the potty? I need advice. Give me whatever you've got. I've got her in panties today and I'm going to see how it goes. Since I have so many, accidents don't matter. But I am wondering how do I keep pee off the carpet? She sits on the floor and plays and my dh is a little funny about pee on the carpet. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Just let her take the lead. My dd started showing interest like your dd about her age. I pushed her a little at first by putting her in panties, getting her a potty chair, and asking her if she needed to go, but she didn't like that, so I backed off. She went a few more months just going to the potty once in a while, mostly for fun or to show off for visitors. She just turned two and she has days where she wants to use the potty nearly every time, then she gets disinterested and won't use it for a few days.<br><br>
It's clear she knows how at this point, but isn't ready to give up the diapers yet. I'm just waiting on her. She'll start using it consistently when she's ready (hopefully soon because I'M ready for her to be out of diapers).<br><br>
Basically, we make a big deal when she goes, but we don't make a big deal about getting her to go. Does that make sense? This method has worked well for us and she has no fears about the potty and no frustration about it. It's just something she'll do in her own time.<br><br>
Okay, rambling,.<br><br>
Good luck!<br><br>
ETA: Cloth diapers work very well for soaking up pee from the carpet!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts