Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background..<br><br>
My dd Olivia is four this june. She's been potty learned since this time last year. Maybe 6 accidents the whole year... until this last month.<br><br>
She's wetting herself during the day every third or forth day and sometimes at night too. She says she just puts it off because she wants to keep playing but... it's driving me insane!<br><br>
No new babes, moves... any life changes. No new stresses that I can tell. The only thing that I think could possibly influence this is her four year old friend that frequently pee's and poops herself. They do spend a lot of time together but do you think she could be "picking this up" ... you know?<br><br>
Anyways... how the heck should I deal with this. I'm at a total loss.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My initial reaction is to tell you to lower your expectations. My child didn't even quit wearing diapers until three weeks before his fourth birthday.<br><br>
You probably know this, but it's best to keep your own reaction calm and nonjudgemental about potty accidents. However I do think it is reasonable to expect them to take some responsibility at this age... if DS1 wets himself (happens a couple times a month) he pretty much has to clean himself up, and bring me some rags for any, uh, puddles.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My son is 4.5 and will still occassionally have training regressions. They most often happen when he is stressed out about something at school - and it's generally something subtle (starting a new art project, etc.).<br><br>
I agree with Sylith's approach of remaining calm and helping your child take accountability. Best wishes - I know how frustrating this can be!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts