Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm really struggling with a potty regression in my DD (2.75) and I'm not sure what I should do, if anything.  Basically, she has gone from having an accident about once or twice a week to having at least one every day.  Sometimes it's pee, sometimes it's poop.  Sometimes both (usually not at the same time, but on the same day).  Should I just put her back in diapers? (I sorta feel like that would be giving up a lot of ground with the progress that we've made)  Should I start bribing her with M&Ms again?  (We did that when she started not wanting to sit on the potty, but after she had been doing fine for a while)  I have a very hard time "forcing" her to sit on the potty because I don't want it to turn into a big power struggle.  But most of the time if I "initiate" and ask her if she has to go, she will say no.  The only time I've really been successful in getting her to sit (and go) is when we're out, and I say, "I didn't bring any extra clothes, so if you have an accident, we have to go back to the car (or home), so you need to use the potty here now."  She seems to get that.  She definitely doesn't like being wet or dirty and will immediately strip off the clothes and undies.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not sure where to go from here!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
170 Posts
<p>I'd go with lots of naked time. In fact, I'd only do clothes if you're going out, and then I'd reinforce the "<em>I didn't bring any extra clothes, so if you have an accident, we have to go back to the car (or home), so you need to use the potty here now." </em></p>
<p> </p>
<p>And a handy-dandy potty -- like in the room she spends most of her time in, even if it's the living room.  And oooooodles of patience, but no bribing.  Verbal rewards are good. "Oh, you remembered! What a good rememberer you are!"</p>

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thank you for the good ideas.  Except the naked time - I'm not sure - she seems to "let loose" more freely if she's not wearing at least undies.  But hey, at this point, I'll try anything!  Would the idea be that she's naked, so the pee/poo coming out would make more of an impact or impression on her?</p>

·
Registered
170 Posts
<p>Yes, and also it's easier for you to see, so you can grab her and place her on the potty. "This is where pee pee goes."  "No, we don't pee on the floor, we pee on the potty."  etc.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts