Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I see a few potty training posts thought we could build one that included all sorts of housetraining questions.

After reading the other threads with good advice I no longer felt the need to create a thread titled, "Please help me stop hating me dog."

Now I can just ask more specific questions about training.

First, we only have a tiny crate we bought for our cats.

The dog is 11 months old, weighs about 35 pounds- a jack russell/bassett cross.

She is dense, slow to learn so we have to be very consistent and have tons of patience.

We cannot afford a larger crate right now- not until the 15th of November.

We really can't afford a child's gate but I may be able to talk DH into it. I think they would cost about $15.

We could put it between the dining room and kitchen. Allow her to be in the kitchen on flooring that can be easily cleaned until we take her out or need to leave the house.

She has been in our room and doing well, but now pees in it. I am at work for6 hours. she goes out immeditely before I leave and as soon as I get home.

What else can I do?

Do I keep her on a leash while we are in the house until she gets it?

I have tons of cleaning to do and I run around like a madwoman when I do it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want to give this dog up, it wouldn't be right, but something has got to give.

Also, she snaps in our faces and has actually hurt DD.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
What DO you have? An old playpen? A really big plastic box? Who cares if it's fancy; if it holds the dog and is the proper size that's all that matters.

I can't write a long thing about snapping right now; on my way out the door. I hope others respond ASAP and I will be back tonight.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We had a rough time potty training one of our dogs (got her as a 2-year-old who had never been an indoor dog before). We kept her in one room at a time until she understood what to do. A good trick is to always feed them in the room that they're going to be in, b/c they have an instinct not to potty where they eat.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Until you get her a crate, can you keep her in a smaller room/space? Like a bathroom, laundry room, kitchen (if any of those are actually smaller than your room).

I would start over with her, as if she were an 8 week puppy. She's never free, she's always on a lead or in her small space. Then regular potty breaks, and all pottying outside is praised, treated like crazy.

For the snapping, you may want to start a separate thread and describe what she's done?

As for me, I'd like to know how to teach our pup to let us know she needs out. I'm sure she's telling me, but I'm clearly too dumb to learn "dog"!

We actually haven't had more than a handful of accidents as we take her out very regularly or crate her. The accidents she has had are my fault for either not going out often enough or giving her too much freedom too soon. I'd like to teach her to nose at bell of some sort to let me know it's time to go out, how would I do that?

~Julia

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't have any small enclosure or crate and it won't be until November before we can afford one.

Tonight she is in the bathroom with food, water, her bed and toys. I gave her a kong to chew on as she had started chewing on the foor trying to get out.

I don't see me sleeping tonight

She's back at chewing on the door
*sigh*

We cleaned the carpets in the dining room and have put down puppy pads.

I agree the accidents are our fault. I try to watch for when she starts sniffing around and take her out, but this weekend we have been cleaning and I have gotten sidetracked. I need to do better.

Tomorrow we keep her on a leash.

Pur lab was much easier to train so this is new to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.