Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds will sit on his Blues Clues' toilet seat and go pee in the toilet when he wants to, which is probably once a week or so. We've tried a sticker chart, which he just wasn't interested in. Sometimes he'll tell me when he's pooped, so I can change him, which I know means that he's getting close to being ready to be potty trained.

His third birthday is next month. Do I keep him in diapers (disposables) until he seems more interested in the toilet, or do I put him in Pull-Ups or underwear, so he can feel the wetness?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
can you take him at regular times? maybe when he wakes up. and then start taking him after his meals. before his bath. i have no idea about the underwear thing. my ds goes potty but i'm scared to put him in underwear ha. can i just wait til he is fully trained to put him in underwear?

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichole
can you take him at regular times? maybe when he wakes up. and then start taking him after his meals. before his bath. i have no idea about the underwear thing. my ds goes potty but i'm scared to put him in underwear ha. can i just wait til he is fully trained to put him in underwear?

I tell him it's time to go potty, or ask him if he would like to go potty, and he tells me no. The other day when I gave him a bath, I said, "Let's go potty before you get in the bath." He replied, "No, I'll just pee in the tub."

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I'd suggest you just wait until he tells you he's ready to stop wearing diapers. You might ask him every now and then, even get him some special underwear, but ultimitely, let it be his decision and it will be much easier and less stressful for all involved.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
My dd didn't use the toilet at all until right after her 5th birthday. We had kind of tried everything by that point but she just didn't do it until she was ready. The more we encouraged the more she lost interest it seemed.
When she decided she wanted to wear underwear all the time I was a little hesitant but we went ahead since it was her idea. She has not had an accident day or night after the first couple of days in underwear. Even when we gone out and about. She doesn't need reminders to use the potty at all. We used a sticker chart for awhile but have phased that out unless she asks to put a sticker on it.

I guess I'd say ask him if he'd like to try wearing a pull up or underwear. Keep some on hand. If he says no I wouldn't push it but let him come to it in his own time.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
Ds will sit on his Blues Clues' toilet seat and go pee in the toilet when he wants to, which is probably once a week or so. We've tried a sticker chart, which he just wasn't interested in. Sometimes he'll tell me when he's pooped, so I can change him, which I know means that he's getting close to being ready to be potty trained.
It sounds like he's putting the pieces together but isn't quite ready to make the big committment. Totally normal, no need to rush unless he makes a specific request to wear underwear.

Honestly, I would just sit back, appreciate the fact that he's interestedl, make the potty and information/discussion available and then just wait. My DS did this very thing off and on from 2 to 3. A couple of months after his third birthday, he wanted me to buy him some underpants (like Dad's--who knew they made size 2T boxer briefs, sooo cute!). He wore them one day and had a few accidents and asked for diaper. No worries. Two weeks later, he tried again, had some good timing with the potty and confidence was restored. Moreover, I think he was just ready, everything clicked so to speak. He poop trained right along with pee and night trained (his request), a few months later. The best advice I ever got, was just make information available and wait until he's ready. I was so worried about how to PT and it ended up being one of the easiest things I've ever "had to do" as a parent. As in, I hardly had "to do" anything.

I still remember the day "everything clicked." He was so excited that he went to his potty every 20 minutes and peed! Within a day or two, he learned how to hold it a bit and we were able to take a successful 3 hour road trip.

Hang in there mama. Sounds like things are right on track!

Em

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
My first daughter didn't really learn to use the potty until 3.5ish. Cloth training pants helped a little, but if it was a disposable, it was just like a diaper to her, lol. I would ask if she needed to go, but she almost always said no, until one day she just decided she was done with diapers. (It was around the time her sister was born, and she said that diapers were for babies.
)

Oh, and she always preferred to sit on the regular sized toilet backwards (facing the tank) to the child sized potty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.