Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd will be 3 next month. She's making me nuts, and I have no clue if there are other optoins I haven't considered.

Dd is a very intelligent, willful child. She has been poop trained for about a year. However, she isn't pee trained- and it seems to be her choice. So here's where the crazy comes in- dd wants to be naked all the time- I tried naked potty training, and though sometimes dd would go to the potty, she also never cared if she peed in the floor. The first 2 months of this, I was "no big deal" about the pee in the floor- but now, almost a year later it really makes me angry. I don't want my house to be covered in pee- its one reason we don't have any pets. Its not like she has no control- she stayes dry all night, every night, stays dry thru naps, and is able to control herself when she wants to.

I've tried giving her choices- the little potty or the big one? Diaper or panties? Diaper or potty? Dd's answer to all of this is "NO,no, no, no"

She also undresses herself. I've gotten to the point where when I know she hasn't peed in hours and will need to soon- I either hold her down on the potty- and she does pee, or I hold her down and put a diaper on her. I know these are both bad choices- but aside from letting her pee all over my house, I haven't found a good third option. I need help.

Oh, and dd does have good days at times- she will use the potty all day with no accidents one day- and fully regress the next. I do praise her good efforts and not punish the accidents. Oh, and I should mention- when she does pee in the floor- she will help clean it up, like its no big deal. However, that is after she has probably sat and played in the puddle of pee- Gross!

Sorry this is so long!

Peace,
Laura

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, it only works occasionally and in the context of "OK, you go to the potty and then you can play in the pool (or whatever)" She doesn't care about one big bride to do it all the time, though its been a while since I brought it up.

·
Registered
953 Posts
HUGS MAMA!!!
I cannot offer uch advice just offer support. If i had the answers my 4 1/2 year old would be trained. SHe is at times, and ohters not. Right now we are going thru 6-10 pairs of panties a day!! my 3yo just did it all herself but now we think she is regressing becase her sister is having issues.
One thing my ped talked to meabout was potty training resistance. That is what my dd (4 1/2) is definaltey going thru. She did however not mention it until she was 4. ALSO it is not uncommon for shildren to be traineind at 3 or later. I actually htink it is more unclommon for a 2 you to be trained.

Best of luck mama. if you find the answer PLEASE tell me LOL

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
We use Vanilla Wafers (we call them "cookies"). She gets one for pee; two for poop. It has worked well, although she does have her setbacks. I understand that most children have potty setbacks so I'm not too worried about it.

It's really funny, though, when she uses the potty she has this litany of steps that she verbally talks herself through: "pee, wipe, flush, wash hands, one cookie," and then when she has done it all she'll keep repeating "one cookie, one cookie" (or "TWO cookies" as the case may be) until we get it for her. :LOL

·
Registered
688 Posts
We're going through the same thing. DD has been going on the potty *when she feels like doing it* for almost a year now, but has absolutely no desire to do it all the time. I never push the issue on her, but am getting so sick of diapers. Several weeks ago I decided to just go for it. I told her no more diapers, just underware. So we went shopping for underware and she picked them out and was so excited. She did great for about 2 weeks going on the potty all the time with only a few accidents. Then suddenly she decided she doesn't want to use the potty anymore, so for days I cleaned up pee and poop off the floor and out of underware. She's like your DD...just just splashes and plays in the pee until I notice. She has started refusing to go on the potty at all, except maybe once a day. I'm so fed up! I thought we were done with diapers after 2 weeks of being potty trained and now we're back to full time diapers again. Ugh!!! And nothing works, not frequent reminders, not bribery with stickers, treats, etc. I'm so discouraged. She will be 3 in a few months and I have a 9 month old and we cloth diaper and I can't tell you how sick I am of doing diaper laundry for 2 children everyday.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the support. It is actually nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. We are going to visit some family this weekend where dd will be around a number of cousins who are all a little older than her (4 or 5, I think), and I'm hoping that she will want to immulate them.
:

I do think for my dd it seems to have to do with not wanting to grow up. Dd talks a lot about whether she's a baby or a big girl and seems to be struggling with the trasition- I've encouraged her she will always be my baby and I can hold her and rock her anytime she wants even as she grows up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts