Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*This is not an EC question...we're not really ECing anymore! Just a potty training question.*

Alright, I have to admit, I'm pretty confused here, so I figured I'd just ask!

DS is 2.5 and he was full time EC'd from birth-2, maybe a little longer. So he's been completely poop potty trained since about 6 months or so. However, not so much for pee. He's had a rough year, with a complicated pregnancy and subsequent new baby, my dad dying, and a move, and at some point we just had to acknowledge that DS had been communicating that he really didn't want to EC for pee for quite awhile and it was time that we stop pushing him to do so.

So he's back in diapers, and uses the potty occasionally, when he feels like it for pee, and always for poop. Here's my question...since he knows what to do and where to do it (and how to communicate that)...do we need to DO anything to encourage potty training? I mean, my mom wants to like, give him M&M's or something for using the potty, but I don't really get how that would work...it's not like he's afraid of using the potty, he just doesn't care to at this point. I'd like to believe that at some point he's just going to decide he wants to use the potty instead of his diaper, and that I really don't have to push the issue because we laid the groundwork, but I guess I have my doubts about that. He also really likes his diapers (like, if you suggest wearing underwear (we call them "under-roos)" he'll rush to use the potty so he can get a diaper back on..."no roos! Potty!").

Any insight is appreciated. I've actually potty trained diapered children before when I was a nanny, so I know how to do that, but I'm not sure the same applies for a kid who was EC'd most of his life. Confused myself out of normal potty training with the EC, I guess. So now I defer to the non-ECing toddler moms! Help!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
We are EC drop-out as well. DD peed on the potty fairly reliably between 10-15 months, then we got busy with stuff last summer and had a rough go with some family issues as well and there was just too much stress. We reverted back to diapers and then when I couldn't take the smell any more we simply went diaper free at home, and typically no pants either. That was about in March. I put a diaper on her when we went out. By the end of April she was pretty reliably going on the potty again, but it was at her own pace. I would remind her that she could go pee on the potty about every 2 hours because I knew she was holding it for 2-3 hours. If she asked for a diaper I put one on her.

Part of our EC drop-out was due to a power struggle over the pottying and I simply had to back right off. When I put it in her hands she was happy to go on the potty again. Now she wears a diaper to bed at night that is dry when she wakes but about 70% of the time she pees in the diaper rather than taking it off and using the potty. (She gets up independantly in the mornings and gets her own snack and plays quietly if I am not up, so I'm not always up to remind her to go on the potty instead of the diaper.)

We didn't use any incentives for the most part. There were a few days of Smarties for poops, but that was it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mama, it's nice to know we're not alone in our EC-dropout! DS doesn't hold his pee for 2-3 hours yet, I figured that at that point I would encourage the potty more, and that seems to be what you did. Glad to know she started using the potty and you didn't have to bribe her or anything!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts