Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Does anyone have any tips/tricks/ideas to help me potty train my 2.5 yr old. If you've got read any of my previous posts, here's some info for you:</p>
<p>DS is 2.5 with a speech delay and signs of Autism (Diagnosis testing coming soon..).</p>
<p>He seems to be ready, as he can understand what I'm saying when I mean "Potty", "bathroom" "Toilet" "wash hands..." ect. He is also interested in the reasons why people go into the bathroom. He also remains dry after nap/morning waking. He is familiar with the potty too.</p>

·
Registered
613 Posts
<p>If you haven't already I would start reading lots of potty books to him and may'be let him watch a potty video, my kids loved both "Potty Power" and "Elmo's potty video".  Then start putting him on the potty in the morning, mid-morning, before nap, after nap, mid-afternoon, before/after dinner, before bed, and also before/after you go out. Then plan to stay home a few days, and let him run around with no bottoms on and watch him like a hawk, whenever he looks like he's got to go say "potty"(or whatever) and run him to the bathroom and have him sit on his potty for a few mins. I found it helpful to insist that my kids sit on the potty for the length of a favorite book.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DD(5) who has probable AS/HFA was trained this way in 3 days, for DS(4 in Dec) he was trained this way in just shy of 2wks.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts