Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I start potty training my ds? He is 2. He goes to the bathroom with dh so he can get the idea. He will tell me he needs to go, but then when I take him in there, he tries to play in the toilet.

How can I tell for sure he is ready to learn?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You should check out Diaper-Free Before 3. Meaning, have a look at the web site, and either check the book out of your library (or buy a copy) and read it. It will answer all your questions about getting started with potty learning/training. Did you know that the readiness concept was introduced in the early 1960s by T. Berry Brazelton and is not based on scientific research but just his opinion?

I guess I am saying you ds sounds "ready" to me. Now get him in training pants and put him on the potty!

You can do it!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarlumpkin View Post
. Did you know that the readiness concept was introduced in the early 1960s by T. Berry Brazelton and is not based on scientific research but just his opinion?

You can do it!
Yeah, and guess who wrote his paycheck?! Pampers. Imagine that right, the disposable diaper company suggesting you keep your kid in diapers longer. Kinda like formula companies suggesting that many mom's won't be able to breastfeed.

OTOH, the readiness thing still seems better than strapping a kid to a chair til they go....

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
i just bought my 14 month old a potty chair, and im gonna start sitting him on it in the morning when we wake up, and just go from there. if he goes, great, if not, oh well. hes staring to notice when hes wet i think, a few times hes brought me a diaper, so i changed him and he was wet

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well, I guess I am a meanie mommy because I never really considered whether my DD was emotionally "ready" or not. When she turned 24 months, I simply took off the diaper and put her in cloth training pants. When she wet her pants and demanded to be put in a diaper, I told her that mommy could not change her diapers anymore except for bedtimes (too much work and didn't feel like it anymore) and showed her the potty.

We had been telling her for a month beforehand of the impending diaper removal date just to get her prepared but she was still really ticked off when there was no more diaper.

Anyway, she was going on the potty regularly within two weeks and I have absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I was looking at parenting books at the library the other day and happened upon Diaper Free Before 3. I read it last night and have to say it turned all my ideas about potty training on their heads. I had thought we wouldn't even think about it until she was 18 or 24 mos. Now I am thinking that I should get a potty for 13 mo DD right away to at least see how she reacts. The idea of setting up good potty habits, or at least potty familiarity, early on appeals to me. I am a full time WOHM however so this means broaching the subject of potty training with my daycare provider sooner rather than later, unfortunately. They seem to like to keep the kids in diapers until they are at least 2 yo. I think we'll try the potty at home first and then see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I am potty traning ds and he will be a year old on the 17th! i bought the potty seat when he was 10 months old, and just left it in the bathroom for about a monht. Before baths or whenever he happened to be naked, I would sit him o it. About 11.5 months, i got serious. I sit him on it every 30-40 minutes (i use a fridge timer because I'm distracitble, lol), and msot of the time he goes. Every time he pees, we clap and get very excited. i would say that within 3 days he was holding it until i sat him on the potty. he is also getting to where he will go to his potty and wait for me to come help him with his pants, when he knows he has to go. As long as I am consisten with putting him on it regularly, he stays dry all day. i did start using pullups because the whole cloth diaper thing getting them on and off each time he used the potty, was killing me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.