Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross posted on the other 3 BF’ing boards<br><br>
This is something I’ve thought of before but I was finally motivated to post the question by a Mom on these boards that is struggling with lopsided oversupply. I’d appreciate any feedback ASAP.<br><br>
Can anyone here provide some guidelines or instructions on the use of poultices? Are they more effective than taking an herb directly?<br><br>
I’m guessing that they are messy and inconvenient but I’m wondering if they are more effective since they are more “direct”. I’m also wondering if there are fewer side effects since they aren’t taken orally.<br><br>
Finally, it would seem one obvious advantage for anyone with supply issues (over or under) is that you can target the affected side.<br><br>
My working assumption is that whatever herb you would take orally you could use as a poultice (e.g.: Sage or Peppermint for Oversupply) but are there any guidelines on dosage? (e.g.: half as much? 1/3 as much). What little I could find when researching the subject suggests that frequent poultices are better, in which case that would seem to further reduce the dose per “application”, again some guidelines would be helpful.<br><br>
I couldn’t find a lot on the subject but here is one article that looks reliable.<br><br><a href="http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/breast/naturalremediespt2.htm" target="_blank">http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/brea...emediespt2.htm</a><br>
(Scroll down to the section on poultices)<br>
Natural Remedies for Problems in Breastfeeding, Part 2<br><br>
Finally, I seem to remember reading about some research on MSM for the transdermal delivery of medication. I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether MSM could be used with the relevant herb instead of a poultice, or perhaps as part of a poultice.<br><br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
~Cath

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yay!!<br><br>
Thanks for posting this question!<br><br>
I look forward to reading any answers, as I fall into the lopsided category under 'Extreme'.<br><br>
My son lately wants to alternate breasts every few moments when he's wide awake. (when he's sleepy he just settles in with Righti, his ol' faithful.) I wonder: do you think he is trying to help even me out?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had some concrete answers for you. I am only slightly to moderately lopsided but it hasn't posed any serious problem for me. I assume my un-evenness falls in the normal range.<br><br>
I posted the question mostly in an effort to get some useful info for this other MDC mom I'm thinking of, and out of general curiosity.<br><br>
I don't even know where I got the idea since I don't think I've ever seen anything posted on it with the possible exception of the comfort compresses you sometimes read about but those are usually for moist heat alone. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to any herbs that might have been mentioned, probably because there isn't any meaningful info on dosage.<br><br>
Since you refer to "Ol' Faithful" would I be correct in assuming that you struggle with Undersupply? If so I would suggest that you try co-sleeping on the low supply side.<br><br>
This may seem to contradict the advice I would give to a Mom with lopsided Oversupply: that is to co-sleep on the oversupply side, but the intended effect on Oversupply would be an extended block feeding. The intended effect on Undersupply would be to stimulate supply.<br><br>
Of course I'm no expert and everything is nice in theory. It's the results I'm uncertain about.<br><br>
If you have the herbs in question I don't think there is any harm in trying. I have a little more confidence that it would work on Undersupply only because I think I remember reading about the topical use of some galactagogues (esp, Fenugreek) for cosmetic enhancement ... if you get my drift. As I think about it now that may be where I got the idea; it was probably from an article on Fenugreek in general (not BF'ing specific).<br><br>
If you do give it a try please check in with the results and some idea of what you did.<br><br>
Good luck, ~Cath

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have learned that Herbs and essential oils can be used in poultices but you need to be cautious about using anything that may irritate baby’s skin or be toxic if baby ingested it directly. (Which is pretty obvious once it's pointed out to you.)<br><br>
Some herbs are fine when taken in the recommended dose in their usual form but can be very dangerous if inadvertently ingested as an oil.<br><br>
Anyone interested in trying something like this should do their homework on the safety of the herbs/oils for baby and be very careful to wash up before nursing. A good starting point for the safety research is the book, Nursing Mother's Herbal by Sheila Humphrey<br>
~Cath

1 - 4 of 4 Posts