Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help! 3.5y/o dd and I are head to head power struggles for EVERYTHING...and I am getting tired. Everything from washing to picking a toy to eating to coming inside to going outside to speaking to answering the phone...EVERYTHING!

Please give me everything you have on power struggles. Clearly I dont know how to handle this.
Books, stories whatever...I am happy for the advice.

TIA

ETA: She is always given the choice to make her own decisions, would you like to wash now or in 5 minutes, would you like to wear the red coat or the yellow coat, would you like to put it on now or after your shoes, etc. Should I stop giving her choices???

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
give her the red jacket to wear, but then if she says she'd rather wear yellow then fine

Ok, but then it is a power struggle to get it on. ugh.

refuse to become involved in power struggles

If I didn't insist on her cleaning herself or getting out the door I would have a dirty hermit living in my house (I mean this with great love!) I have tried leaving the house with her in her pj's and she is totally fine with that (personally I am not) She has gone days without brushing her teeth because I refused to enter into a power struggle. I know where health is concerned I have to step in but it has been a year of me trying to nicely get her to wash herself.

But alas, I will read reccomended books, I actually have been sitting on liberated children liberated parents, I guess I better crack the cover...thank you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.