Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my middle child had chicken pox but he was 18 months. I don't think he will have titres and he's prone to anxiety so I'm thinking I might just skip titres and get him the vaccine. Let's say that he did have positive titres to varicella and would otherwise have lifetime immunity, would getting him the shot mess that up?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
There's no reason to think that it would do any harm. I guess if he's already immune and gets the vaccine he might have more of a reaction to the vaccine (since his immune system will be ready for the virus). If you're concerned he's lacking immunity go ahead - but if he had CP already he probably doesn't need the vaccine… why do you want to give it to him?

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the doctor says that we have to do either titres or the shot. I've read that if a child has cp before age 2 they are not likely to have immunity, he was 18 months or so. I wouldn't worry so much but he's my anxious child and I think a shot is less traumatic than a blood draw.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I totally agree. I'd take a possibly uneccessary shot over titles any day. They're so safe there's really no reason not to in my view.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I hope it all works out for you.
I personally would wait until your son is old enough to not be anxious about it and draw a titer. I had my daughter's titers drawn at age 12 and she was still immune from the 1 dose of CP vax (as well as MMR) that she had done at 17 months of age. I'd say there's a good chance your son is immune if he had CP.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If your doctor diagnosed chicken pox then why does he have to have a titer to prove he had it? Natural immunity is very long lasting, it's how the body is supposed to work.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your doctor diagnosed chicken pox then why does he have to have a titer to prove he had it? Natural immunity is very long lasting, it's how the body is supposed to work.
The titre isn't to prove he had it, it's to prove he gained immunity from it. Not everyone who gets chicken pox is immune (I had it twice).

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Talked to the pedi and she reminded me that he has to get blood work done for school anyway (Headstart) so we will just do it at the same time. Thanks for all the advice ladies. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts