Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for your body to ovulate, but then for nursing to push you back into infertile territory before you get your period?

I've had some fertile signs (EWCM and a soft and open cervix) during the past couple of months, no period, and I'm nursing on demand but not following ecological breastfeeding.

·
Registered
853 Posts
my cycles did that so i start charting I think it was gearing up to ovulate but not getting enough hormones my temps never showed that I actually ovulated. I just did ovulate a few days ago. but I have had "fertile" patches of mucus several times between 8 weeks pp and now about 5 months pp.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
When you are BFing you often have a lot of fertility signs as your body tries to increase estrogen in order to resume ovulating. You have to reach a certain threshold level of estrogen to actually trigger ovulation. At first the BFing hormones stop you from crossing that estrogen threshold so the fertility signs go away again. Then your body tries again, and again, until it finally crosses the threshold and you ovulate. It can be a long process with lots of patches of fertile mucus along the way. The only way to know you've really O'ed is to take your temps and see a temp shift. But when you do O, a period will always follow (unless you are PG of course). So, it sounds like your body is gearing up for a return to fertility and it could happen at any time or it could be months--watch out!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've been very careful. I don't need or want to be pregnant with a 5 month old.

I need to start charting again. We had used FAM for years to avoid, but now that I'm up several times a night I'm not convinced my temp each morning is going to be accurate. I also need to read the BF chapter in TCOYF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.