Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried acupuncture to help with PPD?<br><br>
I'm currently on Zoloft but I don't really like bf-ing and being on meds. I tried to self-wean a couple weeks ago but my symptoms came back.<br><br>
Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I had PPD with both previous babies and never went on meds. I had fully planned on going on Zoloft this time around (DH is on it) but yesterday I had acupuncture for different reasons and I feel like a totally new and different person. So I am planning on giving it a try after the baby is born.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Acupuncture could be very helpful for hormone-related depression from premenstrual moodiness to PPD. What's great about it is that there are no drugs for a nursing mother to worry about, it takes only about 45 minutes per treatment, and your acupuncturist could most likely recommend some dietary changes that could make a world of difference. For example, coffee can really contribute to one's level of agitation, especially if already sleep-deprived, and magnify symptoms of PPD so trade it for tea (its not about the caffiene).<br><br>
If acupuncture alone is not strong enough there are some well known Chinese herbal formulas that may be taken safely by a nursing mother. Its best to see an acupuncturist/herbalist who holds Diplomate status in Oriental Medicine and/or Chinese Herbology (certified by NCCAOM) to obtain a formula that is individually customized.<br><br>
I recommend weaning off your meds only with the supervision of your MD and acupuncturist. Be especially regular and with your treatments, and you may want to increase the frequency during a weaning process to ensure the smoothest transition.<br><br>
Good luck!!<br>
Mama-qi, Diplomate of Oriental Medicine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts