Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we sent the PI-1206 into our state DPI via certified mail.<br><br>
According to our state statutes once they receive it, we're legal to homeschool.<br><br>
I'm going to check the online tracking to see when the state receives it.<br><br>
We've tentatively set Monday as the day DS begins schooling at home.<br><br>
However - we have some practical matters to wrap up as well. We need to let his high school know he'll be learning at home and he needs to turn in textbooks, etc.<br><br>
Are there any BTDT mamas out there who can advise?<br><br>
I've been thinking about drafting a letter to his principal letting him know that we've completed the PI-1206 and the USPS indicates the state has received it and we're beginning homeschooling on Monday. Should I just call the school office and inquire about returning books, etc.?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am going through the same thing w/ middle schooler...they have a official form at his school that i had to fill out...then he has to take it to all his teachers to sign when he returns his books. I was going to write a letter..but then i feel that this official sheet they have is enough plus once getting the AOK..from your state. I have invested enough of my time and my son's time in their school papers and nonsense..so i feel that's it for us. Good Luck with everything.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...he's officially withdrawn from public school! Today was his last day and it was surprisingly easy to remove him.<br><br>
We simply had to complete a form indicating that we were withdrawing him and he'd be homeschooled. Most of the form was actually proof he had returned his books to his various teachers and that he had returned all library books and cleared out his locker.<br><br>
We also picked up a copy of his educational record today as well.<br><br>
We finalized his "course" decisions today. He decided he wants to continue to learn geometry and biology. He's interested in Japanese and Chinese history, mythology, and maybe Latin.<br><br>
I'm both excited and terrified - I'm sure those emotions are fairly typical for families who opt to learn at home this late in the child's educational process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts