Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Storch. I'm a first time mom due at the end of October. I'm really excited about baby wearing. I want to practice before the baby comes. Any recommendations on what to use as my "baby?" Most of the dolls I've seen in the stores are very light-weight and I wondered if a sack of potatoes would be better? Or if I should just use a doll so I can practice holding the head.... Or am I totally over analyzing all of this?
:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Michele,

Is there a NINO group near you? http://www.nineinnineout.org/ Or another place that offers babywearing classes? I believe some of them have weighted dolls so you can practice with them.

I don't think you are overanalyzing... it is good to be prepared, not to mention fun to try things out! But, just keep in mind that your postpartum body will be different and that there is no way to tell what size/weight/length your baby will be (not to mention what carries he/she will like!).

Another idea would be to do lots of online research. There are great videos at mamatoto.org as well as on the websites of a lot of carrier companies. You can watch those a lot and practice the tying, at least, even if you can't pop baby in.

Congrats and good luck!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've gotten a lot of great practice in by helping friends with babies use my wraps and slings. I also "borrow" their babies as much as possible to practice with (usually just if they happen to be at my house or something, and baby is content and happy- the best time to practice).

For non-human practice, I bought a 20" doll at Toys R Us that has a soft body. I took the head off and put a sock filled with rice inside. This added weight to the doll- it's still not as heavy as a real baby, but it does give the doll a bit more heft. It is still a bit short to practice back carries with, but I make due.

I've also found it useful to just practice with the sling- just practicing the ties and spreading the fabric smoothly across my back and shoulders over and over and over has really helped. Practicing the slipknot and reef knot over and over has been so helpful for me.

I'm also a visual learner, so I've watched a lot of video clips (check thebabywearer.com Wrapper's Paradise forum- there is a sticky with video clips). Just watching someone else do it has been very helpful.

Congrats on your baby, and have fun with your storch!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You've gotten some excellent advice so far. I wish I thought to do some pg practice myself. By practicing now, you're going to feel a whole lot more confident when you have your first baby wearing experience. I have a Storch too but I had some practice with a stretchy wrap with my first baby before I got the Storch for my new one. Non stretchy wraps IMHO are not as forgiving.

Even if you don't go so far as the baby doll or weighted sack route, you can still get a jump on the new to babywearing learning curve by just practicing the different ties by following some of the online and video tutorials available on the Net.

Also, don't forget to make sure your newborn is content and well fed before you go on your inaugural babywearing ride. Enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts