Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I finally decided to take the plunge and start cloth diapering. The other day I ordered 2 dozen yellow edged pre-folds from Green Mountain. But after reading sarahmck's thread (about needing to order more pre-folds at 4 months), I'm a little concerned about sizing.

According to the Green Mountain website the yellow pre-folds are good from 10 pounds to about 6 months. My son is currently 2 months old and at about 14 pounds right now. I'm concerned that the yellow edged pre-folds aren't going to really fit him for very long. I'd prefer to not replace them in less than 2 months if I can avoid it.

So my question is this, if you used the yellow-edged pre-folds from Green Mountain, about how big was your baby (roughly) before you needed to move up to the next size?

· Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm a relative newbie too, and had a similar problem with sizing PFs.

I have twin girls, now 6 months old. At 5 months, when I started CD'ing, they were long and leanish - about 14 and 15.5 lbs respectively. I got two dozen red edge bleached which fit perfectly, but just. I hate folding over in the front, so was pleased with the rise. But they were a little tight. Since then I ordered unbleached brown edge, which leave me room to grow. And I switched from snappis to pins, which allow me to wider still. At 6 months I use both red and brown edge, but know the red will only last me another month or two.

My $0.02 = return the yellow edges if you can. Get the red edge if you want something trim for next few months, or go all the way with a unbleached brown edge if you don't mind a little large that will last you way into the future.

Best of luck!

· Registered
2,407 Posts
It depends on the body shape of your babe. DS is 27 months and I can get a yellow edge on him. Babes go through a really chunky stage and then slim back down. Even if they don't fit for a few months, your babe will probably get back into them. DD is 12 pounds and still has tons of room to grow in her yellows.

· Banned
4,724 Posts
You ordered the right size, I think. I'm not sure exactly what kind you ordered from Green Mountain but I think it's equivalent to infant prefolds. My first baby who was tiny for a long time wore those until around 5 months old. I remember buying the next size up when she was 4 months and they were huge on her. My second baby was in the premium size (sometimes called "regular") by about 4 months old. She was a little chunkier.

Also, the kind of fold you do has an effect. Bikini twist fold, ime, will extend the fit of your prefolds becuase it allows for a broader hip. Also, if you are willing to pin (I'm not but some people are...), you can get a pretty small diaper on a large baby. I once got an infant prefold to fit my 14 month old (it was laundry day). I mean, it didn't fit great but it worked.

· Registered
3,530 Posts
DS still uses the yellow ones from GMD. They fit him just right. He's 6 months old, about 15 lbs and 28 inches or so. (long & lean). The definatly have enough absorbancy. If you are planning on trifolding I wouldn't worry at all.

· Registered
1,028 Posts
i think the brown-edge would be way too bulky for a 2 month old. my dd is 9 months old (16.5lbs) and still fits (but only just barely)into the old green-edge infants which are narrower than the yellow-edge ones you have. she is very close to outgrowing them, and we have the brown-edge for her to grow into, but for now we use the brown-edge for nighttime and they are still a little bulky on her.

the thing i like about gmd is that you can order just one prefold to test the sizing, and then invest in a couple dozen if it works out. since you already have the yellow (and i assume you've washed them -- they can't be returned after they've been washed) you might as well order ONE brown-edge for comparison. they really are pretty big, but they will last a loooooooong time.....

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. We haven't washed the diapers yet, we should actually be getting them tomorrow. Based on all of the feedback I think I'll go ahead and open one pack of the yellows, get them ready to use and see how they fit and go from there. If I think they're great and that they'll last a bit I'll open the other pack, if not, I'll return them for a red or brown. I'll probably go ahead and order a single red or brown anyhow as I'll probably be adding them to my stash at some point anyhow.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.