Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're past the days when public clamor for vaccines emerged from outbreaks of smallpox and polio. It's now necessary to manufacture the clamor using corporate media.

Case in point? I came across this article this morning. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cm...-zika-but-far-less-often-discussed/ar-AAjlzVF

My immediate, knee-jerk, cynical instinct was to search the web to see if there was a vaccine in the making. And woudn'cha know it? http://www.fiercepharma.com/vaccines/vienna-s-hookipa-biotech-starts-first-human-cmv-vaccine-trial

Have you seen other examples of this vaccine pre-marketing strategy?

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I have to go to work...so more later.

This line made me raise both eyebrows:

"CMV is the most common congenital viral infection and the leading nongenetic cause of deafness in children. Roughly 400 children die from it annually. By contrast, roughly 900 pregnant women in the continental United States have contracted the Zika virus."

400 globally or in the USA?

If this is the USA, that is more than the pre vaccine levels of paediatric flu, chicken pox, rotavirus ...and yet I have never heard of it. This would defintiely support the hypothesis that vaccines drive fear of disease at this point in the game, rather than fear driving vaccines.

I did go in search of some data to see if it was 400 globally or in the USA, and will need to do more digging.

I found this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3082510/

A total of 777 congenital CMV-associated deaths occurred over the 17-year study period <USA> so 400 annually seems wonky (doing quick math, 40 seems more likely) but might be too low for a global number.

As is usual, the disease affect some groups more than others.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
I think it would be more economically healthy to learn why just these 40 or 400 get this CMV every year rather than the rest of the 330 million of us getting this disease.

That is not profit generating is it? It is better for the stockholders to develop a vaccine for ALL OF US to prevent 400 known cases of CMV. It seems to me there may be many more cases of CMV without symptoms, but there are no tests for it.

I am sure there are plenty of other causes of CMV presenting in these children, but unless there is money in it, it will not be explored.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
18,827 Posts
I love how there's a vaccine in the works for MRSA. The same establishment that is causing the disease can now charge you to prevent it. :thumb
you are getting very cynical!

But yes, no wonder there is no push to remove antibiotics from animal feed, or to stop feeding antibiotics to people of all ages as though they are candy. :serious:

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
I love how there's a vaccine in the works for MRSA. The same establishment that is causing the disease can now charge you to prevent it. :thumb
This has been happening for a very long time.

Hep B is the unplanned result of a smallpox vaccine campaign from the 1880s in Bremen, Germany. At first the disease was called serum hepatitis and then it was finally identified as Hepatitis B. The scientific paper that verifies this is available in German.

The VA admits, finally, that Hep C is the unplanned result of using the airgun vaccine delivery system for recruits in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and of course I am sure a vaccine is waiting in the wings.

Fecal transplants are state of the art medicine for those who get chronic C-dificil infections from over use of antibiotics. Yes.

I have posted the links before for these factoids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts