Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a lovely letter from ds's school
, he is starting k in the fall (well here it's August 16th
) anyway after the standard we can't wait for school to start stuff it tells us to show up at x time for a prescreening test. The only thing they say is show up at this time for this test, if you really can't make it call and reschedule but only so many "reschedule" slots will be open (and the reschedules are just that afternoon instead of that morning good thing I'm a SAHM hun
: )

They tell us nothing about the test, nothing about why he is taking the test, nothing about what the results are going to be used for. I was all set to call and ask these questions when I read the part about reschedules and it say's not to call until Aug 9th because that's when people will be in the office again, ok you say, but the test is for Aug 10th, so one day.

I know this shouldn't bother me, but if they are going to "test" my kid I want to know about what they are doing in advance, and I don't mean 24 hours in advance.

Anyone have any experience or advice? I already feel I'm becoming "that" mom, I hate that feeling and I don't want to start the year off on a bad note, but they aren't exactly being open with information.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My son is starting K this year too.
His school is doing some pretesting too, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. They explained that it is to see what he knows and where he will be in the class, so they know what they can work on, etc.
I also think they are doing it so that the kindergarten teachers will have an opportunity to meet my son and spend a few one on one moments with him. So they won't be as much of a stranger on that first day of school, and they can learn a little about his personality.

Good luck!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts

At least this time they told you about the test. Welcome to the public school system. Once in he'll be tested hundreds of times without them even telling you.

-Angela

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I would be frustrated if I didn't know what exactly the testing was about though I would guess it's a way for them to see where each child is at and group the kindergarteners so that teachers know where to begin with them
I don't know, though I would assume that they average or back track somehow so that children who may have tested "ahead" so-to-speak are bored for a while and children placed "behind" may struggle. Sounds crazy though since I remember K being fun and a lot of painting, crafts, music, recess, singing songs, group time, show and tell, etc... not so much academic stuff but from what I've heard it's not necessarily like this now.

But yeah your child will be tested numerous times through out their public school life. Some are for funding purposes, some to find out how much info they supposely retained.

If you love the school I would call and find out what exactly your child will be tested for and don't worry about it much. I'm sure he'll do just fine, it's not like they are testing his comprehension of calculus or anything.

Good luck! Hope he has a wonderful first year in kindergarten!

·
Registered
325 Posts
My kids didn't have to do any pre-testing since they went into 1/2 day KG. I believe that they do assessments on full day KG here though.

Usually it's to get an idea where your child is skill wise before the school year starts. It helps them decide which teacher will be the best fit for the child.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We had interviews in our school to balance the classes. You don't want a "turtle" class and a "rabbit" class for instance.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
K testing(K-RAL) from the looks of the pictures of various schools had blocks,letters,colors.We did an online school,and the questions online were similar.
There was also seeing if they could follow various basic instructions like hopping,getting coat/shoes on,and so on.

For medical stuff(done by your kids doctor) there is general health check,bp,eye,and hearing.Dentist exam is also done.I have read of some school nurses also doing some of these tests.Some places also ask that a TB test be done.

Yes, it is difficult at times to get information out of the school.They ask for so much,and then get tight lipped about any details.Oh,schools will ask for the SS number,but you can request that a student ID number be given.I refuse to give out my kids SS number which schools and doctors often ask for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. I'm a kindergarten teacher. We do pre-screening at my school so that we can make sure the students are placed in homogeneous classrooms, with an equal mixture of high, medium and low students. It's not required to attend the pre-screening at our school, but it does help the prinicipal know where to place students. Anyway, at our school, we test to see if students can write their first and last name, trace, cut, if they know their upper and lower case letters, sounds, shapes, colors, numbers, if they can count objects to ten, follow directions (such as "put the big blue block in between the two red blocks"), point to the cover of a book and point to where they would start reading the book, and we show them a picture and ask them to describe what is happening in the picture. I think that's it. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I basically know what they are testing and why, I'm just bugged that they don't bother to tell you why KWIM? I think if they want to/need to test the kids they should say more than just show up.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman'smom
Thanks everyone, I basically know what they are testing and why, I'm just bugged that they don't bother to tell you why KWIM? I think if they want to/need to test the kids they should say more than just show up.
I don't agree with the pre-screening tests. My dd will not "perform" for strangers and that is basically what they want! According to her prescreening she couldn't hop on one foot, jump rope, or do any of the other assorted "tricks" they want the kids to do. I have to wonder if they would have let her attend K if I hadn't had an assessment from her preschool teacher saying that she could do all the things she wouldn't do for them? KWIM?

I also think part of the problem was they "asked her" if she would jump rope. So she said no.
You would think K. teachers would know that if you phrase it as a question you have to accept the childs answer, even if it isn't want you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aniT

I also think part of the problem was they "asked her" if she would jump rope. So she said no.
You would think K. teachers would know that if you phrase it as a question you have to accept the childs answer, even if it isn't want you wanted to hear.

I can SO see ds doing this, I've already talked to him about "trying his best"
: for the screening. I can just see the teacher coming backing saying "Well Mrs O, you child is really cute, but isn't ready for K because he can't even say his name"

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Here dd never had any K testing, they did test her eyes and hearing but that was it. She did get testing before entering pre k tho to give the teacher a idea of her strengths.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
They did it here too (for both the full and half day ps programs) They used the tests to balance the classes in terms of skills and also to identify some early skill groups/temperments across the four classrooms. For instance, right away they started pulling out the handful of kids who didn't seem familiar with letters or even how to turn pages or who couldn't count to 10...They also created a group for kids who were already reading so they wouldn't kill them with boredom in the first couple of months. The groups seemed fairly fluid as the year progressed.

I did like that they used the info to create a baseline file on ds that we discussed during the last parent teacher conference.

I wouldn't feel like "that mom" if you ask. I asked last year and dss teacher told me all these reasons and also said it gives them a chance to talk one-on-one with kids prior to the first day so that they will be more comfortable.

BJ
Barney & Ben

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I would imagine you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I am sure that there are parents who can't do daytime pre-screenings because of work, so your child wouldn't be the only one.

My son enjoyed his, and it gave him a chance to be in a classroom talking to a teacher before school started. And kindergarten teachers do have a very, very wide range of kids coming into their classrooms. I felt that helping them have more information could only improve the beginning of their (kids and teacher's) year.

L.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys
We had interviews in our school to balance the classes. You don't want a "turtle" class and a "rabbit" class for instance.

This was the explanation given to us when Kailey went in for her registration day.

I wouldn't worry about the test, and if on the day you go, you find it to be something you disapprove of, just refuse the test.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leatherette
I would imagine you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I am sure that there are parents who can't do daytime pre-screenings because of work, so your child wouldn't be the only one.

My son enjoyed his, and it gave him a chance to be in a classroom talking to a teacher before school started. And kindergarten teachers do have a very, very wide range of kids coming into their classrooms. I felt that helping them have more information could only improve the beginning of their (kids and teacher's) year.

L.
Kailey also really enjoyed this "testing". She loved being in the classrooms talking to the K teachers (who are also so wonderful and gentle). She drew pictures, played "games", etc and was given stickers and a book at the end.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna

At least this time they told you about the test. Welcome to the public school system. Once in he'll be tested hundreds of times without them even telling you.

-Angela
:

I'm fairly certain it's just a test to get a baseline to ensure that he's "learning" appropriately. What state are you in? No child left behind has really made states use testing as accountability measures.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My sister does the K-screening here in NY she is not the K teacher she is an ESL (english as a sceond language) teacher. Like others have said it is just to see where you Dc will be in the fall and what Dc will need to work on or not. They go over counting, shapes, numbers, colors, identify his/her name, socal skills (ie:hold down a conversation are they shy outgoing ect...) oppisites, and problem solve sure there is probily more though. I find it odd that they are doing it now. Here they do it the 2 weeks after school let out. Here in our school district they need to be screened every school district is different though. We have always had an extreamily high number of special ed students here and I think that is why it is manditory in our district not positive why though.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freebird_Mama
JA the teachers Kailey were tested by were all K teachers.

In our county they test in late May.
My sister and I think that the person testing should be the K teacher it would make more sense since they will be teaching the students
: In the school she is in her and the 3rd grade teacher do the testing. Some years it is only her and she wont ever even have over half the students. My sister also thinks they should be tested a week or 2 before school because then it actually shows what level the child will be at in the school year
. She and the k teachers have brought it up at board meetings. But the Board memebers that we have right now belong
They do not listen to the teachers
They have begged for so many NEEDED things and have had to go out and purchess them with their own money!! Thank goodness most of them are up for reelection
I know every district is different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts