Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my baby has yet to arrive, but I have a variety of cloth diapers to use for a newborn. I am imagining I will probably have some disposables thrown in there at the very beginning, but I'd really like to focus on cloth/reducing waste.

I was wondering if I should pre-wash all my diapers and fold them now so that they are ready for the baby. In that case, should I use cold or hot water (sorry, I read about it online and it's confusing). Most of my diapers are part of a Disana cloth diapering system if that helps.

THANKS!
SF

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Absolutely prewash. Most diapers made from cotton, especially if it is unbleached or organic, need to be washed several times and dried between washings to remove the natural oils from the cotton so that it is fully absorbent. Many diapers come with instructions for recommended prewashing.

Here's what I do with brand-new diapers: Wash on cold with no detergent just to remove any factory debris. Wash on hot with detergent. Hang up to dry. Two days later, wash on hot with detergent and hang to dry. Repeat at least one more time. Then put the diapers in the dryer on a 20-minute "fluff" cycle (no heat)--fluffing up the fibers also increases absorbency, as well as making the diapers more comfy.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I take it really simple and put it through 2-3 heavy hot wash cycles with a tiny bit of detergent and tumble dry. They aren't absorbent until they've been washed a few times.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, thank you both for the advice.
I didn't expect anyone to reply after a few days so I just went ahead and washed the diapers three times in a row (air-drying them in between each wash).

But maybe I will wash them another time.

I really love these Disana diapers, I know not everyone is into them, and I have yet to use them on a baby, but so far they seem pretty amazing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts