Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a weird case of bronchitis last fall that I'm not sure has gone away completely. (Weird, b/c a cough was the only symptom. No pain, no mucus, no fever, nothing else.) I now have what I thought was a sinus infection/cold, but it went down into my lungs a bit and I have essentially every symptom you can have for a cold. The cough came back and has subsided a bit, but the doctor said today that my lungs sound "rough."

He prescribed another round of antibiotics to knock out whatever it is, and gave me an inhaler (Albuterol) to help get rid of the bronchial inflammation. He said that if it's not better w/in the week, I'll have to start Prednisone.

Everyone I know who has taken it has trouble keeping extra weight off and getting if off even after stopping the drug. I know it's vain, but more weight is the last thing I need! I'm struggling to lose/maintain a healthy weight as it is, and I certainly don't need a drug helping to keep the weight on for good. I also just try to avoid medicine as much as possible on principle....

That said, does anyone have any suggestions to avoid this scenario? An anti-inflammatory diet of some sort? Teas? Supplements? Or just suck it up and hope for the best?

·
Registered
907 Posts
How long of a course of Prednisone is your doctor recommending? I've taken Prednisone quite a few times for up to two weeks (for asthma and other inflammatory problems) and have never had any bad side effects. I was a little irritable while on it but nothing else. I'm pretty sure the terrible side effects you sometimes see (like rapid weight gain and bloated face) usually only occur with longer courses of the drug.

Prednisone has rescued me from some serious asthma attacks. I would not be afraid to use it short term, but if you need something long term for asthma/bronchitis/wheezing etc an inhaled steroid is usually recommended and safer.

Good luck. Hope you are feeling better soon.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
We've done a short course of prednisone twice for Caleb--once for asthma that just couldn't be controlled otherwise (3 day) and another time for anaphylaxis (7 day). Those were within a couple of months of each other. He had no side effects. The stuff you're fearing is with continued use/long term. That said, I hope you are better without it and don't have to make those choices at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.