Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to get my bestest bff some Christmas gifts for her twin boys. They were born at about 26 weeks in mid-October and are still in NICU. I know that this first Christmas will be a very special one for her. The boys are about as well as you can expect for early preemies, but still going strong.

I've never had to do something like this before and she is a very important woman in my life. I would be honored to gift her boys with something for Christmas. But I need a little help. I would like to get her something they can use, would be cute, and is boy oriented. I've seen some shops that cater to preemies and given that they are still heavily tubed/ intubated, what's good? Onesies are cute, but I want it to be practical. They are still in NICU, so are toys even an option?

I don't want to burden her with these questions because she is trying her hardest to be the best mommy to these boys she can. At the same time, like I've said, I'm not experienced with preemies. So any help would be grand. Feel free to include things I've not thought of, or other ideas of gift if you would.

TIA!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some NICU's allow you to put toys outside the incubator, I've even seen a few photos of babies cuddled up with their teddy bears which make excellent props for when they're home so you can easily see how big they've grown.

Our NICU didn't allow babies in incubators to wear clothing, some allow them to wear little gowns, I don't know how you'd check if you didn't want her to know...I made DD a few incubator covers that were hers. They're just like little quilts to help keep things nice and dark and womb like in there.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Depending on how big they are, you could get some "micro-preemie" shirts. My NICU allowed the babies to wear clothes when in an isolette and they were allowed toys in there only if they had wipeable surfaces. We got a few board books to read to them.
I got my boys each a long sleeve micro preemie shirt from this store. http://www.preemie.com/Micro-Preemie_c_3.html It was good for me to see them in something that fit properly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes! We loved books. We had a little library of books that we read to Erin, I usually picked the kinds of kids books with multiple stories in them because we had limited space. Even now I take books up to our NICU for the new parents to read to their babies.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
my almost 5 year old was in the NICU over Christmas, and the best gift I received was a sweet little fleece christmas stocking that said "My first Christmas" that we hung on his isolette. Every time I pull it out at christmastime, I think of how much he's grown (we have a picture of him IN the stocking on christmas eve that first year, and now every year we take a picture with him holding it.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Books for mama to read out loud to the babies. Little knitted caps for the babies to wear in the iso. Blankets that can be put over the iso.

That stocking idea was just too sweet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You could call the NICU at the hospital he's in and ask them if a baby in X size range is allowed to wear clothes. Our dd had clothes on (put on by the nurse) after she was off the phototherapy, while still in the isolette. You could maybe ask them for gift suggestions too.... Also our NICU put flannel blankets on the mattress under the baby in the isolette and I brought some made by my mom for them to use. So you could ask about that possibly as well. I would suggest labeling any clothing or blankets with the baby's name so they don't get sent to the laundry.
We lost the handknit hat the hospital gave us, a hat my sister made, some other fabric hats, and a blanket my mom made, all when they moved dd from the isolette to normal crib. The blanket even had dd's name on it but I didn't get it back ever.

I really liked the hand knit hat we got in NICU (even though we don't have it, we have some adorable photos of her in it). We weren't allowed to put toys in the beds with her (iso or crib) but my boys bought her presents, took them and showed them to her, and then they were brought home.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
my almost 5 year old was in the NICU over Christmas, and the best gift I received was a sweet little fleece christmas stocking that said "My first Christmas" that we hung on his isolette. Every time I pull it out at christmastime, I think of how much he's grown (we have a picture of him IN the stocking on christmas eve that first year, and now every year we take a picture with him holding it.
I was going to suggest this as well. A baby's first Xmas anything is very appropiate and they can hang them on their isolette or even crib if they are ready for that at that point. You're very sweet to do something like this. Try to stick to something baby oriented or even twin oriented since nicu parents love anything that seems normal. Also, there is plenty of preemie clothing out there. Find the cutest ones you can and buy them. Parents and the nurses love dressing the kids up for anything.

Also, dont forget the parents- help them w either cash, dinner cards whatever. Believe me, it helps!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'd second the idea of gift cards for the parents. We're in the middle of mostly living at the NICU with our preemie and we end up spending a lot of money on coffee and food near the hospital.

We've really loved having handmade blankets and little hats. I've enjoyed having a soft robe to wear while kangarooing the babies. There are also special shirts designed for kangaroo care - our NICU has these for the moms to use.

Clothes will be practical soon. When the babies are 3-5 pounds and no longer have breathing support or an IV, they can probably wear little outfits.

Stockings are a great idea...we're excited to put our little one in his stocking when he's home at Christmas!

Another option would be gentle bath products for their first baths. You could even add a few soft towels and wash cloths (the hospital ones are usually scratchy). Maybe something like the Burts Bees baby bath and apricot oil for massage? The babies might not be able to have baths yet, but their skin probably gets dry in the isolettes. Their mom might be able to give them little foot or hand rubs with the apricot oil. We did this for our older son when he was in the NICU and he still loves having his feed rubbed.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
clothing is a really really big deal in the nicu. it's your ties to normalcy and doting on your child and a sign that your kid is no longer so sick that they need immediate access to them in case of crash. it's a BIG deal. clothing was the first thing to go when my middle daughter got sick in the nicu and it kinda drove home the point that we could lose her. definitely check first with the hospital but clothing or even just a hat would be my personal favorite if it were me. hats are essential.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
an oranic cotton snuggle toy she can sleep with to make it smell of her and then put near baby

and some money for petrol/ parking/ snacks - in fact a bag of nuts/ seed/ healthy protein bars for where she skips meals

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbrinton View Post
Another idea would be a gift certificate to have a professional photographer come in and do family photos in the NICU for their Christmas cards...
I was going to say this. Even if not for their cards, just having them for memories!

I cherish our NICU pictures. In time, those feet won't be so tiny, those hands wont look the same wrapped around her finger. There are photographers who specialize in this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.