Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of cding for my second baby due in september but do not want to spend a lot right up front until i know what's going to work for me.

can anyone recommend some easy to use (if possible) prefolds and covers for the first few weeks for a newborn?

and for kissaluvs, you do need a cover to go over the kissaluvs right? if so, any recommendations on the cover? that's the other thing i was looking at. also, what's easier to start with, prefolds and covers or kissaluvs and covers?

i know; lotsa questions but i'm really undecided.

thanks alot!

shellie

·
Registered
788 Posts
Kissaluvs size 0 are GREAT for newborns because they help hold in that runny poop. I personally like pull-on covers (like Dappi or Bummis Whisper Pants) because they are cheap and easy.

Most people seem to like Bummis Super Whisper Wraps with prefolds. That's a great economical choice for diapering if you don't have a lot of money.

Some websites offer a package deal of prefolds, Kissaluvs, and Bummis so you have both (I don't remember which sites, maybe someone else will).

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I would start with mostly unbleached Indian (from HERE ) or organic cotton infant prefolds (from HERE )
& a few (no more than 2-3 of each brand) of fitteds...fitteds are tricky...not every kind works for every baby...like Kissaluvs...lotsa people like them...but lotsa people hate them...I, personally didn't find them to be absorbant enough...a common complaint. PFs can be folded in so many ways...you're bound to find a way to get the fit right...& they're inexpensive. They can also be used as doublers, burp cloths, dish rags, etc. when they're too small to be used as diapers.

As for covers...my favorite easy-to-get, inexpensive covers are: Bumpy (from www.cottontailbaby.com ), Nikky & Niji (from www.babybunz.com )
Although I'd highly recommend getting at least 2-3 soakers for overnight. (Aristocrats from www.cottontailbaby.com are really good)

HTH!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread at all, but I'm finding that my little girl sweats like crazy in prefolds+Bummis-SWW. We've been just leaving her in the prefold only, but that's not an optimal solution either: I'd like to get SOME wetness protection. Would fleece covers be more breathable than the PUL the Bummis are made of?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
With my first DS, we did CPF and Bummis SWW. They worked great for us. I also had a Bumpy that I really like but it was alittle too pricey for us at the time to get anymore of them.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WNB
I don't want to hijack the thread at all, but I'm finding that my little girl sweats like crazy in prefolds+Bummis-SWW. We've been just leaving her in the prefold only, but that's not an optimal solution either: I'd like to get SOME wetness protection. Would fleece covers be more breathable than the PUL the Bummis are made of?

Thanks in advance.
WOOL
and yes, fleece would be more breathable than pul. It has been as hot as 112 this week, I have dd in wool soakers or shorts and when I take her dipe off, her bum is cool to the touch - in 112 degree weather!!!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WNB

Thanks in advance.
Fleece would be more breathable. We used the Nikky Breathable Poly in the beginning with our twins (I was scared of wool then), and I really loved them. They are much softer than PUL (not plasticy at all), and MUCH more breathable (the inside of the cover was never wet, whereas with bummis/proraps, it was always super wet), and give a very nice, very trim fit. I've bought them from both www.babybunz.com and www.babyworks.com, quite happy with both places.

HTH!

Lex

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
...and don't discount the wool! :0) Seriously, don't let the higher prices on the wool covers discourage you (if that's a concern) - if you can knit or crochet (and you can learn how to do both pretty easily) then you can make your own soakers (covers) relatively inexpensively.

I never thought I'd ever be interested in wool, or that they'd work, but I made a few of my own and I'm sold!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
In my opinion it doesn't get much cheaper or easier than prefolds and Bummmis SWWs, but then I LOVE prefolds and totally don't mind pinning or snappi'ing. I'd rather pin or snappi than fumble with snaps, but that's just my personal preference. I still like a variety though, even though my prefolds get 90% of the action. You'll find mixed opinions of what each person thinks is the easiest, best set up. For us, the Kissaluvs didn't fit that great and weren't absorbent enough after the first couple of weeks, but a lot of people love them for nbs. I think it just depends on the size/shape of your baby and how heavy they wet. Also, if quick drying diapers are important to you, then you might want to skip the Kissaluvs. They are NOT quick drying.

Maybe you could get a combination but make the bulk of your stash prefolds/covers to save money. Like say, 2 dozen prefolds, 8 covers(maybe 2 or 3 different brands), and then a dozen more diapers that are a mix of brands of fitteds, pockets, or aios... whatever you want to try. I 2nd the recommendation to not get more than a few of one kind before you see if you like them or not. So much of whether you like them or not depends on your personal preference and what your particular baby is like, and remember you can sell the things here on the trading post or on ebay that end up not working for you.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamered_mom
...and don't discount the wool! :0) Seriously, don't let the higher prices on the wool covers discourage you (if that's a concern) - if you can knit or crochet (and you can learn how to do both pretty easily) then you can make your own soakers (covers) relatively inexpensively.

I never thought I'd ever be interested in wool, or that they'd work, but I made a few of my own and I'm sold!

I totally agree about the wool! It is more expensive upfront, but I got more mileage out of my newborn wool covers than any others. They fit the best at birth and continued to fit long after dd outgrew her nb and small pul covers. They were so soft and stretchy!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm new to CDing and I love prefolds (mine are hemp, used) and BSWW. Everything else has been high maintenance. I also bought used ProWraps and have several Niji covers which have been fine, too. But I especailly love the BSWW because of the fit and that pocket in front where you can fold down any extra length and tuck it in. A friend is offering to loan me her FBs--her whole stash--but I think I'm going to decline and stick with prefolds. They're just so easy and not as much maintenance.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
For a newborn I would recommend indian prefolds (they mostly come in indian or chinese), and two each of bummis super whisper wraps and proraps.

We only used the newborn sizes for about a month, and it let us get the hang and decide what we liked or hated before buying the next size of covers.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Another thing to think about if you are leaning toward Kissaluvs 0s is that they are VERY low in the rise. A child can easily go to 12 lbs or more and still fit easily in the waist, but if your child is not a very low-rise kid, or is a boy (the absorbant soaker of the KL0 is in the middle, not enough in the front to work well for most boys). My son, and other baby boys I know, outgrew the rise at like 10lbs. That's not a very long time for the cost of the diapers and the hassle of reselling them and getting something else.

Have you thought of doing prefitteds?

I used mine made from premium indian prefolds from 12lbs to the present (29lbs and 2 1/2 yrs old). You just fold them down in front or in back to make them smaller. I recommend Bummis Whisper pants (the nylon pull-on ones) for day, wool (Lana) for nights, and THESE to add to the prefitted for nights.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I used prefolds and snappi clips with a pro-wrap like cover on my two boys and wouldn't do it any differently with number three. I have other hobbies to spend my hard earned cash on...
:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmel23
I used prefolds and snappi clips with a pro-wrap like cover on my two boys and wouldn't do it any differently with number three. I have other hobbies to spend my hard earned cash on...
:
I envy your excellent perspective. When I encounter cute fluff, my "perspective" goes out the window...
: You give an excellent reason to start with prefolds and stay with them. I'm another person who's tried (and spend I don't even want to think about how much time and money) on lots of different dipes on 2 different kids and I'm back to prefolds... and wool, though, not PUL. But prefolds do rock. Make sure you get soft ones (indian, tinybirds organic, thirsties, etc) so you don't get a bad impression of these fantastic dipes. And stretch, stretch, stretch your snappi
We also cut the botton leg off our snappi and it works much better for us that way. With an exclusively breastfed infant, I would definitely recommend snappi-ing or pinning your prefolds rather than just laying them in a cover. With my first DS, I gave up on prefolds in the beginning because the only way I knew to use them was laying them in a cover, and we got constant poo leaks. When we eventually learned to snappi, we never got poo leaks. My favorite prefold resource page is www.diaperpages.com

All of that said, if you want to try fitteds, I'd recommend Motherease Sandy's or Kissaluvs. Both are fantastic at keeping in runny poo, though the Sandy's are much more absorbant and adjustable (because they're side-snapping). If you find a system you like and stick to it (without years of intensive experimentation, that is), you'll save money and provide your baby and yourself with a diapering experience much healthier and less expensive than sposies.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My baby just outgrew her BSWW newborn covers at two months. They were really easy to use, though in the very first week or two they did seem pretty huge on her little body, but they did fit.
I bought them at www.nickisdiapers.com her prices are hard to beat and the covers are shipped for free which is nice too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts