Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JewelsRae
What size prefolds do you buy for a newborn, and what are the best kind?? I want something unbleached, but what do I choose?
I used Infant 8ply Chinese Prefolds. They were a bit bulkier than the 6-ply, but I could use them for Diaper Doublers later and they lasted longer for me. Kenny could not wear them past 4 months if they were secured around him with pins or a snappi. However, he could wear them much longer if tri-folded into a wrap - we just don't prefer that method of diapering.

Quote:
Also, can you dye unbleached prefolds?
I would imagine you could dye bleached or unbleached. I have a vibrant, beautifully tye dyed prefold from www.tyedyedreams.com and it was dyed using an unbleached prefold. However, I would think you would need to make sure the prefolds are washed thoroughly first or you might end up with the dye repelling due to the natural oils that are still on the cotton and also, the 'sizing' that needs to be removed. Someone correct me if this is not the case.

Quote:
So far I have 2 Nikki wool covers and 1 Biobottoms wool, all size small, will these fit over prefolds??
Someone else will have to answer that - haven't tried either.

Quote:
I just can't remember, but breastfed blowouts- when do they start, I don't think my son had them till about 2 months....
We did not have but a couple of blow-outs and they were up the back - not out the legs. However, I want to say the really big poops start around 2 months - at least for us.

Quote:
Will a snappied prefold leak out breastfed poop onto my wool covers every time?
Not every time. I imagine if the prefold was wet from being peed in - the weight would pull it down and away from the legs and there is a possibility that the poop would get out. We get our prefolds really snug and use primarily 6-ply, so there are a lot of diaper changes. They don't get wet enough to do this unless we are out running erands and mommy is being inattentive.
- then, yes . . . it can be a mess even on the best pinned or snappi-ed prefold.

Quote:
How long can a typical newborn wear the first size of prefolds?

Depends - are you going to secure with snappi fasteners or pins always - if so, we did it with our chunk for 4 months and with Meredith for a bit more than that (she was long and lean). However, we could have easily used them (like I said above - sorry for redundancy) much longer if we tri-folded into wraps.

Quote:
Thanks ladies, it's a loaded post!
:LOL Anytime we talk about poopie diapers - it IS a loaded post! :LOL

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.