Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,I'm *sure* that I want to make this economical. Buying dipes that are more expensive then the cloth I buy doesn,t make sense! It is fun to have one of 2 cute dipe, but I think that is all I need! I just have another couple of questions/concerns

1- If I buy unbleached IPF, is the quality of it similar everywhere? I know let's say thirsties make their own and all, so i'm expecting other places to do as well (like GMD) but if I buy just UBIPF, are they all the same everywhere?

2-For those who use PF at night, do you need to double them, and with what? What works for a super soaker?

3-Is there another transition between the infant prefitted, and the premium?

4- are PF really that absorabnt? I mena, I look at all the dipes out there, that have WAY more layers, and I'm wondering how come these works.

Thanks ladies!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The quality and comfort of pfs is NOT the same everywhere. They vary widly, but it would be impossible to compare many because that would mean that I would have had to buy many different ones. Thirsties ub pf are floppy and fairly soft, but get pilly (does lessen over time though) and are not as tightly woven. GMDs are a better quality, softer, and come in more sizes (your answer to is there another step between infants and premiums), but are not as floppy.

For using pfs at night you would use a trifolded infant (or newborn) inside of a premium. You should be good to go with that.

YOu can more layers and not have the same absorbancy. For instance, some fabrics don't hold as much as others. Some fabrics are lighter even if they are the same type, so they won't hold as much. Some pf center panels are narrower than others. The processing of the fibers can make a diff too. Just cuz something has more layers doesn't necessarily mean that it will be more absorbant.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Indian prefolds are softer than Chinese but don't last as long. A CPF might last easily through 3 or 4 kids but a IPF won't last quite as long. So determine if you want to use them for more kids or would prefer softness now.

I don't use prefolds at night. ds's pee is too strong and it would give him bad rashes. We use Fuzzibunz.

Regular comes between Infant and premium, but I'd just go with premium as there isn't much size difference. If you don't mind buying 3 sizes though then go ahead and get the regular. Another options is to go infant, regular, toddler (only slightly longer but quite a bit wider than regular which most babies seem to need more than length).

I change after each pee (or as soon as I notice it) so it doesn't really matter but its certainly enough to contain a few pees if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.