Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on a diaper blog that you can lay a prefold flat in a cover beforehand(like stacked in a pile for use) and use these like aio's this way. Is this true? Will it really hold everything in this way? Are prefolds easy to get the hang of?

I originally only wanted one size aio's for ease of use and because my babes grow so fast, I can see it costing a ton to buy all the different sizes and dh is balking a bit at both the one tome cost and worried about it being just one more thing I *have* to do each day. (3 kids, HS, allergies, so cook EVERY meal from scratch). So can we talk prefolds specific to ease of use, sizing, and cost? (my kids start between 8-9lbs and avg.12 lbs by 1 month and 20 lbs by 4 months, hence the concern about going through sizes quickly).

Really, I'd love some advice from the avg mamas here on MDC!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
We use prefolds and covers almost exclusively. We trifold the prefold longways fold down the top so it fits and just lay it inside a cover- no pins, snappi or anything. Then just velcro the whole thing on baby.

We've had almost 0 blowouts, but do have leaks from time to time if we haven't done up the cover tight enough or it bunches somehow. Nothing major.

Our diapers all came from Freecycle with the tags worn off so I am no help with sizes. We just used the smaller ones first
sorry!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been overwhelmed by the thought of prefolds, but if i could just do that at the beginning instead of learning all the twists and curves of folding it would be less intimidating...

sorry about misspellings, punctuation, and run on sentences--I'm sick, so researching dipes, lol.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Yes, you can prestuff prefolds into covers and use them like AI2's, and I think it works great. I think regular 4x6x4 prefolds are a good one-size-fits-most diaper.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes, you can totally do this. It's known as trifolding.

You will be able to reuse the cover if it's just pee, but poop will get on your cover so you'll have to toss it in the pail. So ultimately you'll need more covers than if you were folding/snappi-ing.

It does seem very overwhelming at first, but you can def start with trifolding. Maybe grab a couple of snappis too and practice ONE fold only (we started with the bikini twist) on a teddy or willing older kid.

DH will only use PFs as that's what he's used to. We only have 2 covers - both wool interlock and they rarely get poo on them. We use the jelly roll fold if that's any help and it really keeps the poo in.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Prefolds are cheap to buy and easy to wash. We have some BumGenius that I used on my son, but when baby #2 came along, I bought more prefolds. We always snappi, I think because in the beginning with my son we had Gerber diapers and pull on plastic pants, so we had to. Now I still do it with my daughter because I like the snug fit. I think we do the Angel wing fold?
My new love are the Thirsties Duowrap covers. Only 2 sizes get you from newborn to potty learning. We didn't have size one, and we probably could have started the size 2 sooner than 8 months and 19 pounds, which is when we got them. Maybe you should check into the Econobum from Cotton Babies. It is a prefold and one size cover than is meant to be used trifolded.
Also, my husband is perfectly capable of using a snappi and putting on a diaper. Men can adapt.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Prefolds are great! I didn't trifold much because I found a snappi so easy and less bulky -- and they leak less on the covers that way. If you think you'll go the trifold route it might be worth looking at GMD prefolds. They have more sizes but they fit better trifolded (from what I've heard -- I haven't tried theirs but I've done my research and that's where I'm getting my prefolds if I need more). Even though you get more sizes at GMD it's still a lot cheaper than a sized AIO or pocket diapers.

I've also found prefolds are super easy to wash compared with pockets and AIOs. Mind you, I didn't have many pockets or AIOs but I tried the bumgenius and it leaked all the time. I'm sure they would have worked if I stripped them regularly, but I didn't have time for that. With prefolds you don't need to worry about a complicated wash routine.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i bought our prefolds (size medium, red edge) when DS was 5/6months and although i did buy the next size up because i just couldnt wait, he is still fitting perfectly into the red edge ones at 10 months... so they do last a while...

once in a great while i will pre-lay out the prefold and the cover (like as an aio you mentioned) but its really not that difficult to put on. when my DS was less squiggly, we used to pin them every single diaper change then use a thirsties cover. now we mainly tri fold it and i have never had one problem. some times poop gets on the cover, but never ever on clothes

GL!

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I love prefolds, don't be afraid to try with a snappi clip, either.

Really, they are the best for fit, comfort for baby, and the easiest to launder (which is also a big part of cd-ing)

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I must be one of the few mamas who don't love prefolds. I wanted to, but my little guy pees right through them like they're not there. And trifolding - that means the cover MUST be washed after every poop. And unless you have the cover on just so, it can leak all over the place.

If your DH is so concerned about having to replace the sizes, then I'd recommend looking into one-size dipes. Most OS dipes won't fit a NB, but some will start fitting pretty quickly. My personal favorites are the SB'ish pin OS and the Little Beetles OS. I can get a great fit on my skinny little guy, and they'll fit him for a good long time. I really like my GoodMamas, but at 4 mos, they fit him on the smallest setting. Or, my all-time fave is the Disana tie nappy stuffed with a prefold - most of the time we go coverless with these, because it takes a lot for them to feel wet on the outside. There's a definite learning curve using these, but they are adorable, and hold everything in if you get it on right.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pippi L. View Post
Prefolds are great! I didn't trifold much because I found a snappi so easy and less bulky -- and they leak less on the covers that way. If you think you'll go the trifold route it might be worth looking at GMD prefolds. They have more sizes but they fit better trifolded (from what I've heard -- I haven't tried theirs but I've done my research and that's where I'm getting my prefolds if I need more). Even though you get more sizes at GMD it's still a lot cheaper than a sized AIO or pocket diapers.

I've also found prefolds are super easy to wash compared with pockets and AIOs. Mind you, I didn't have many pockets or AIOs but I tried the bumgenius and it leaked all the time. I'm sure they would have worked if I stripped them regularly, but I didn't have time for that. With prefolds you don't need to worry about a complicated wash routine.
reading on GMD is what got me thinking about it...

Cristeen, I really would prefer a OS AIO, but I'm finding that the reviews are less than great for chunky legs/tummy. (Tho I did order a Thirsties to try) I also have some bumkins (which wick out the back) and a fuzzibunz which I liked ok. I have some kissaluvs fitteds and liked them, but the elastic in the back wore out on a few of them in storage (between babies)--not sure what to think about that...

More and more, I'm willing to be open to prefolds. I think I'll end up with a variety--AIO's, prefolds, and fitteds.
I am still concerned about getting clothes on the kid in winter...(I quit diapering because of this. DD was SO chunky and then the diaper on top would've put her in HUGE clothes just to get them on! I'm talking at least 2t on a 9 mo old.) Suggestions for that?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
We use prefolds and covers almost exclusively. We trifold the prefold longways fold down the top so it fits and just lay it inside a cover- no pins, snappi or anything. Then just velcro the whole thing on baby.

We've had almost 0 blowouts, but do have leaks from time to time if we haven't done up the cover tight enough or it bunches somehow. Nothing major.
What am I missing? Seriously. Every.Single.Poop. gets on the cover and we're trifolding newborn/small prefolds into newborn proraps. Washing the covers each time is getting to the point of annoyance.

I think I'm getting the cover on tight enough, but perhaps I'll try tighter?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
What am I missing? Seriously. Every.Single.Poop. gets on the cover and we're trifolding newborn/small prefolds into newborn proraps. Washing the covers each time is getting to the point of annoyance.

I think I'm getting the cover on tight enough, but perhaps I'll try tighter?
I don't know...maybe we're just lucky? When I said we don't have blow outs I meant that we haven't had to change clothes, not necessarily that the poop doesn't ever get on the covers. I'd say we use two or three covers a day, give or take.

Does your prefold cover the width of the crotch? If I fold too narrow sometimes that causes issues.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
What am I missing? Seriously. Every.Single.Poop. gets on the cover and we're trifolding newborn/small prefolds into newborn proraps.
I think time to try a snappi

For the original poster, infant sized prefolds + snappi + covers could work great for the first few weeks (up to 12 pounds I am guessing.) The infant newborn has so many little poops, I would not want to have 2 dozen+ pocket dipes on hand. When infant prefolds are outgrown, go to your next (more expensive) diapering step ... like one size pockets or AIO.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm such a nerd. I saw this thread and thought, "oh look, a thread on prefolds! I'll check it out," only to realize it's mine. FTR, I'm sick and slightly out of focus I think. Not a time to make any final decisions, eh?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I love prefolds with Thirsties covers and have never had a leak or blowout.
But, when I tried to do the trifold and laying it in the cover, for every poop I had to change the cover.
If I snappi it with something simple like the angel wing fold, I rarely have a poop leak on the cover and can wipe it off easily and reuse it.
And she poops at least 4 times a day!

Someone gave me some fuzzi bunz but it was kind of a pain to take out the inside thing and wash it so I'm just using prefolds.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My chucky girl is almost 3m and 17 lbs. We are still happily trifolding infant sized prefolds with no leaks in homemade fleece covers. Not that bulky either since it is a smaller size. They are two small to snappy, but I don't think snappies are necessary in a good cover. We do get poop on the covers, but she only poops every other day, so no biggie. also, if you are thinking of aio anyway changing the cover should not matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.