Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm having a bad time doctor wise (see here for details: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3#post5781003).

My current hospital choice is Lutheran Medical (http://www.lutheranmedicalcenter.com/) because the first doc I picked happened to be affiliated with them. I toured Maimonides and was disgustingly disappointed (eww the recovery rooms!!!!!) and I tried to tour Victory Memorial because it's so close (I'm in Bay Ridge) but it was horrible and the people were beyond rude. I've read a lot of bad things on MDC about LICH and Methodist, and I honestly just think it's a bad idea for me to go to St. Lukes (Bay Ridge to SLR? Normal drive time horrible, imagine if I go into labor during rush hour!
: ) I was reading the posts about Continuum and Pamela Hops, but I think that's too far too (not distance wise, time wise).

I don't know what to do. All I know is that I'm 30 weeks and I don't have a doc. My first doc referred me to a high risk doctor, but what if she refuses to see me because I don't want Rhogam? Or thinks I'm crazy because I'm vegan? And what if the same thing happens with other doctors?

HELP! I'm freaking out.

Please note that I am high risk. I would LOVE to go to a birthing center and have a midwife, but I can't.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I hope you've got this solved by now, but in case you are still looking, Rachel Masch at NYU is compassionate and not likely to treat you like you're at all weird. I have friends who did high-risk births with her.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having a bad time of it!

Talk to Joan Bryson. She is an excellent midwife and knows the hospitals well. Perhaps she can give you advice if nothing else.

I had to transfer to st vincents in lower manh. There were many good nurses, baby never left my side and I had help latching him on at all hours.

ETA: My Ob/gyn before I was preg was Eden Fromberg. She was at LICH. She left there and is now in Tribecca. She's holistic, vegetarian and is generally awesome. She was no longer doing home births which is why I looked for a midwife. She might be worth contacting just to have a consult with and perhaps knows of someone who could help you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have been going to the BBC and now there's a small chance I'll have a hospital birth instead. In any case, I have asked my midwives at the BBC loads of questions now about their relationships with docs at Maimonides (their transfer hospital). They seem to feel really confident with these doctors respecting their (and their patients') choices- i.e. alternative lifestyles, natural birthing, veganism...

If I were you, I would call BBC and see if a midwife can refer you to a doctor that is open to your choices.

I know you said Maimonides is gross (god I hope not too gross, because I might end up there as well!), but maybe it's still the best option if you find a good doctor there. (I spent the first half of my pregnancy in Italy, and the hospitals there would NEVER pass inspection here, but maybe we are overly "new and clean" obsessed?)

Good luck, in any case, try to focus on what you want your birth to be like, write a birth plan, and be confident in your choices! (Believe me, I know it's hard with an unsupportive caregiver.) But at least you will have your reasons and thoughts well-organized.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I second calling joan bryson, she delivered me at home, but knows the hospital scene really well. we had 2 go 2 hospital (methodist) after the birth & she was great! her number is 718-788-0595

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Victory Memorial can be a scary place. Their C/S rate is through the roof.

Actually, LICH isn't all that bad. I did my birth observations there and was surprised at how hands off the physicians were. Joanne Middleton and Janet O'Sullivan do births there (CNMs) and they are wonderful.

Now, this thread is really old and you probably (hopefully) found a solution... Best of luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.