Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it dangerous to get pregnent 6 months after having first baby after having a c-section? I was just wondering.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you are hoping to attempt a VBAC, most research available indicates a minimum of 18 months between deliveries is optimal to decrease the risk of rupture. That would mean waiting until approximately 9 months after having a c-section to get pg again.

Depending on where you are and how VBAC 'friendly' the care providers are in your area, this might be reason enough for them to refuse even an attempt at VBAC, whereas in other places, providers aren't as strict about following the ACOG recommendations.

Personally, if VBAC were very important to me, I'd likely wait 9 months to conceive again if possible. Of course, sometimes circumstances dictate that we try a bit sooner than originally planned, and of course, sometimes we get pg without even trying.

I think it's important to be aware than a delivery to delivery interval of less than 18 months will increase your rupture risk, however it's not like the risk goes through the roof or anything.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I did just read a nice birth story where a mom had twins by c/s and gave birth vaginally (at home) just at 12 months after
Just to shed a little optimism on the topic
Most care providers will recommend against anything closer than delivery 18 mos post-op (so 9 months after birth is when you'd get pregnant)

Namaste, Tara

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rupture?? what does that mean? and i'm not sure what any of the abriviations mean either I'm sorry i don't even know what ds or dh or dd stands for either. i'm pretty clueless to all this. What do you all mean by rupture??

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybaby18
rupture?? what does that mean? and i'm not sure what any of the abriviations mean either I'm sorry i don't even know what ds or dh or dd stands for either. i'm pretty clueless to all this. What do you all mean by rupture??
The big concern that most providers will have with ANY VBAC mom is the chance of rupture. Once your uterus has been cut into (c-section or other uterine surgery like to remove fibroids), the chances are greater that it will 'rupture' during labor.

Rupture means the uterus tears open along the old incision. Depending on how severe the tearing is, mom and baby can suffer grave damage, even die.

Rupture risk in a labor that is NOT induced or augmented in ANY way is reported at approximately 1 in 200 VBAC attempts. Approximately 1 in 2000 babies will die as a result of rupture during a VBAC attempt. I'm not sure what the maternal death rate is for NON-induced VBAC attempts.

Using pitocin and/or any type of cervical ripening gel increases the risk of rupture. Attempting a VBAC less than 18 months after a c-section increases the risk of rupture. Having more than one prior c-section is iffy, it likely increases the risk, but by how much nobody is really certain as there simply aren't that many VBAC attempts after more than one c-section, so the data available is limited.

If your incision was not horizontal (side to side), but instead is vertical (up and down), most providers won't attend a VBAC attempt at all, as the rupture risk is somewhere between 5-10% with that type incision. This is the cut in the UTERUS, which does not always match the incision in your skin, so you'd have to read your operative report to be sure how they cut your uterus. Typically, a vertical (the more dangerous kind) incision is used only in very rare circumstances, such as a breech baby in distress (it's easier to get baby out fast with vertical incision in this case) or extreme prematurity. Your run of the mill c-section will be a horizontal incision.

Most OB's insist that you labor and deliver in a hospital that meets the current ACOG standards for VBACs, some of which includes a surgeon and anesthesia staff IN HOUSE and ready to operate at a moment's notice should rupture be suspected. These restrictions have made it very difficult for many hospitals to continue offering VBAC attempts, especially smaller hospitals.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
mybaby18- many mothers here have Vbacs
there are support groups and lots of reliable information. Please go search it out. It is on here. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybaby18
rupture?? what does that mean? and i'm not sure what any of the abriviations mean either I'm sorry i don't even know what ds or dh or dd stands for either. i'm pretty clueless to all this.
DH = Dear Husband or Darling Husband
DS = Dear Son or Darling Son
VBAC = Vaginal Birth After Cesearean (c-section)
ACOG = American College of Gynecologists

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts