Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall!<br><br>
i thought this would be the right place to post this...<br><br>
we have 2 dogs and 2 cats and of course, we have some flea action starting up as it is spring. very minor but still - i get 2 or 3 off each dog per day w/the comb.<br><br>
DH and I are afraid to break out the ol toxic flea drops (advantage) seeing as i am 37 weeks pregnant.....and we will continue to be afraid to use this stuff with a newborn in the house.<br><br>
but fleas are not gonna work either. what to do? flea-combing and using some lavender essential oil and *trying* to keep on top of housework is all i can think of.<br><br>
anyone else? ideas? or are the fleas worse for us than the toxic stuff ?<br><br>
deb

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well, we continue to use Advantage, but you can space it out every 6 weeks, use gloves when applying, & put the pet outside or in a crate while the stuff dries (pretty quickly). We've tried every flea concoction known to mankind (natural & unnatural), & it's the only thing that works for us. Fleas around here carry tapeworms & potentially (from ground squirrels) bubonic plague, so we don't want any around.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey here is an article about using SALT to kill fleas!<br><br><a href="http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/186919/control_fleas_naturally_with_safe_common.html" target="_blank">http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...fe_common.html</a><br><br>
i am gonna try this tonight!<br><br>
deb

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Flea comb, lots of cleaning, vacuuming and laundering and I gave them all garlic orally. Changing their diet to a more healthy one helps too. Healthy animals are less likely to get parasites. We can't use the toxic stuff, it gives my dog seizures, so I know it's not something I'd want around a baby.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I second the salt method. Sprinkle it everywhere, let it sit a while, then vacuum it up.<br><br>
I recently read about a species of rats that was dragging bay leaves back to their nests. When scientists investigated, they found that bay leaves keep away fleas. They tested some other herbs, and found that rosemary works too, and a couple more I can't remember. My plan, when we start seeing fleas, is to put sachets of bay leaf and rosemary in the places they sleep most frequently. I was thinking that since they sometimes sleep on my bed, I will probably try sprinkling those herbs in between layers of my bedding (I am going to put down a waterproof mattress cover soon, as a precaution against breaking of waters while in bed, and then i can put the herbs and then the regular mattress cover on top to hold it all in place).

·
Registered
334 Posts
after reading some articles on various natural methods...and really "hoping" they work...I gave in and used frontline. but kept the cat outside for the day.<br><br>
not ideal, but the chemicals work so well for us i am afraid to try methods other people say don't work well. (i beleive i heard something about salt hurting carpets)<br><br>
the idea of an eminent flea infestation curls my toes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Garlic-adding it to their food<br>
Neem Oil- few drops on them, on their collar, add it to their bath or other soap when washing their bedding or make an herbal spray with it and some of the other things folks are suggesting<br><br>
Also, we spray a garlic-pepper spray and a lemon-neem spray around our house outside to help prevent lots of critters like fleas, ticks, mosquitoes from even venturing close by. It seems to have worked last year. I have yet to have time to do it this year and seem to find ticks crawling around everyday. YUCK!<br>
I'll have to look up my spray recipes if you want them.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
To be honest, we never got a heavy infestation to begin with. Last year, I think I used Frontline Plus on them sometime around end of May or beginning of June, and then again around end of August or beginning of Sept.<br><br>
When we took one to the vet for a tooth problem in Dec, I told him I knew she had a few fleas, and please not give her Frontline (they charge a fortune for it, and I can do it much cheaper). He said he knew the weather had been warm, but there would be a cold spell soon and they would be all dead. A month later, she still had a few. But, they were all gone by February and she hasn't gotten any more yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts