Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 6 months old, and we are considering ttc again. However I am concerned about milk supply as I don't want to shortchange ds. Wondering at what point in pregnancy you lose your milk and if you can keep it up with herbs etc? It' still kinda a moot point as I'm not bleeding yet and with DC #1 I didn't start again untill he was a year old, but I'm thinking of going back to no birth control and seeing what happens.......Any thoughts on milk supply form others who've been there.

I nursed my first ds though my second pregnancy but he was older so I didn't woryy about the drop in supply.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi Heather,

Andrew nursed through my pregnancy with Daniel and I seem to remember that my milk really dropped at 12 weeks and was just about gone by 20 weeks. This likely varies from woman to woman, but I have heard this is the most common occurance.
Have you considered pumping to build a bit of a freezer supply so Cormac can get your milk even after your supply drops?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If you're not pregnant yet, I think pumping so you have a milk supply isn't a bad idea. I got pregnant when dd was around 9.5-10 months old. We had milk aplenty until I was around 11-12 weeks pregnant, and then my milk pretty much dried up at around 19-20 weeks. I did have colostrum at around 24 weeks, but that month of dry nursing was a long month. I did look into herbs/mother's milk tea but wasn't convinced that it was safe during pregnancy. You can try eating oatmeal and drinking plenty of water though.

Are you also planning to tandem nurse? If you haven't already, get yourself a copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing. There's lots of information in that book about nursing while pregnant as well as tandeming.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
My cycle started just 4 months after I had Abigail. I started taking the minipill, although I did miss a couple. I was pregnant again when Abigail was 5 months old. I continued breastfeeding her. For two more months, everything was going well. But by the time Abigail reached 7 months (I was 8 weeks pregnant), she began fussing while nursing, a lot. It took me about a week (and for Abigail to lose a couple pounds) for me to realize I was losing my milk supply. I was so disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed breastfeeding and the bonding it created.

We did have a rough start getting breastfeeding going. It took a whole week for my milk to come in, she had trouble latching on, I got blisters, then engorged, followed by a clogged duct. Finally, everything went smoothly (she was around 2 months old then). Everything went well for 4 more months. Then she started biting...
: I think that happened when she was still hungry and there was no more milk. She just wanted more.

I continued to offer her nursings, and she continued asking for them, but I had to give her bottled breastmilk I had previously pumped and stored in order to fill her up. I had been a big milk producer when things were going well and she was a huge eater! She weighed 20 pounds by the time she was 6 months old.

My frozen milk supply ran out. She was no longer getting any milk from me by the time she was 8 months old (and I was 3 months pregnant). I was still producing colostrum for another month, but that didn't satisfy her hunger. So when she was 8 months old (on February 1st, 2006), I had to introduce formula. I hated doing that.

My last month of breastfeeding while producing only colostrum really hurt since she was so hungry, so much stronger, and I was more sensitive (due to being pregnant) that I was just sore that whole month until she was 9 months old.

I switched her from formula to whole cow's milk when she was a year old. She drank the milk for about a month. She really liked milk for that whole month. I also offered her powdered milk (which was more convenient when leaving the house) which she also drank for a month, until she was 13 months old.

I had been giving her solid foods since she was 6 months as a supplement, but started actually feeding her solids (1 meal a day) when she was 9 months. When she was a year, she was eating 3-4 meals a day. Since she was 13 months, she has refused all forms of milk, which is okay with me, since she's not breastfeeding. Is that common for babies to just decide one day, they don't want any milk?

I plan on breastfeeding my new baby, too. I want to breastfeed much longer this time. I will have to figure out a more effective method of birth control, I guess. But all the options the doctor went over with me have a downside to them. I wish there was something easire, more convenient, that didn't affect breastfeeding, and had no dangerous health side effects.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My supply took a huge hit at 5-10 weeks b/c of severe morning sickness. DD kept nursing (a lot!) through that, but at 23 weeks she dropped nursing sessions to only a few/week and has night weaned.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm 13 weeks pregnant. Honestly, probably my first sign of pregnancy was that dd began fussing at the breast. She began nursing less often and for less duration almost immediately after I became pregnant and the drop off at this point is very noticeable (though she still nurses several times a day and 2-3 times during the night.) I haven't really done anything to try to measure whether my supply is less (though that would be expected with the lower demand anyway) but part of it is that the taste changes (apparently quite quickly for me) and some babies (like mine) will choose to reduce or wean because of that.

The other thing is that nipple soreness during pregnancy & other discomforts can be bad, so that causes some mothers who originally wanted to nurse through pregnancy to wean. The LLL statistic on tandem nursing is that of a study of mothers who had chosen to nurse through pregnancy, roughly half ended up weaning. 25% of those were child-led weanings and 25% were mother-led.

I think if you're going to become pregnant it's best to be open to whatever may turn out to be best in your sitution--if you're not ready to supplement ds then maybe it would be better to wait.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 8 weeks pregnant and my DS is 17 months old. I think my milk supply has dropped a bit, because he stays at the breast longer than before. But he still nurses at least 5 times during the day and about 3 times at night. And my nipples are starting to get quite a bit sore...

I intend to tandem nurse... I hope my milk supply doesn't totally diminish throughout the pregnancy. A friend of mine breastfed all the way through her pregnancy and beyond... I wouldn't mind if DS night weaned though! We've tried NCSS, and it brought his night wakings from 10 to 3 a few months ago, but with the new baby on the way I hope he'll sleep through the night.

I am wondering though- can breastfeeding during pregnancy make you extra tired? I've been feeling really tired lately, more so than with my first pregnancy...

Also- does anybody have any clever things to say to relatives (esp. mother) who is really concerned about the state of my health since I'm still nursing? She keeps telling me to wean to spare myself and the new baby. But nursing is DS's favorite thing to do in the whole wide world, and neither of us is ready to wean! How can I convince her that we'll all be OK and my body can handle both being pregnant and nursing?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine CK
Also- does anybody have any clever things to say to relatives (esp. mother) who is really concerned about the state of my health since I'm still nursing? She keeps telling me to wean to spare myself and the new baby. But nursing is DS's favorite thing to do in the whole wide world, and neither of us is ready to wean! How can I convince her that we'll all be OK and my body can handle both being pregnant and nursing?
click here for a kellymom.com article that explains that bf'ing during pregnancy is safe. good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
dd was 20 weeks when we conceived ds and my milk gave out at 20 weeks pg.

she too started biting and I gave her a bottle of formula after much trying to drink lots of water and 8 servings of ensure weight gain daily and crying pumping etc. I really wanted to nurse her for a long time and didnt plan on getting pg so soon.

and now im in the same boat again except even sooner. I guess Im going to have to start pumping as some days I have plenty of milk and some it is very low.

Good luck on your decision

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
All righty then, here is what I have gathered, I hope it is OK with you that I post it here anarchamama.

I have searched high & low but cannot find a statistic. Not on how many women have a decrease in milk supply while pregnant (30%? 50? 100?
), or to what degree, or if taking supplements or altering your diet is even worth it (I mean of course it can't hurt, but I wonder if, statistically speaking, do most women who take the supplements, avoid b6, etc. etc. manage to keep their supply higher than if they didn't? I guess that'd be a difficult thing to gauge, but I wish I knew).

I have found that these are the most commonly suggested things that can help in keeping your supply up while pregnant:

A bowl of oatmeal per day: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/oatmeal.html

A calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement per day (I'm unsure how many mgs.)
Flax oil supplement daily

More Milk Two supplement:
http://www.motherlove.com/product_mo..._glycerite.php

(The More Milk Two supplement is awesome because raspberry leaf contains calcium, magnesium & iron, relieves nausea, strengthens uterine muscles & increases breastmilk. Nettle is a rich source of iron, calcium & folic acid. And Alfalfa is rich in Vit. K & chlorophyll, stimulates the appetite & aids in digestion, & increases breast milk:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/alfalfa.php)

Drink barley water with fennel:
*Fennel/Barley Water. A combination of the two herbs not only increases the breast milk, but eases after pains and settles the digestion of mom and babe. Prepare barley water by soaking ½ cup of pearled (regular) barley in 3 cups cold water overnight or by boiling for 25 minutes. Strain out the barley and add to soup or discard. Heat a cup or two of the barley water to boiling as needed, store the rest in the refrigerator. Pour 1 cup boiling barley water over 1 tsp. Fennel seeds and steep for no longer than 30 minutes. (from freedompondworks.com & I saw this on several other sites as well) How often? I'm not sure yet.

Borage leaf, some info here:
http://www.birthandbreastfeeding.com/galacatagogues.htm
This from freedompondmoonworks: Borage leaves, Borago officinalis, the leaves are most highly regarded as a tea for increasing milk flow. Half a cupful of Borage infusion at each nursing insures an abundant supply of milk, acts as a mild laxative, and soothes jangles nerves.
Borage is also listed on Kellymom but it doesn't say on her site whether it's safe during pregnancy. Still researching that one...

Other things to do or consider:
Drink tons of water (haven't found a recommended amount yet)

Eat very healthily of course. The going recommendation seems to be eat like you are pregnant with twins, plus 500 calories. Geeez that sounds like a lot.
: LLL says "eat as if it is a twin pregnancy".

Fatigue & stress can affect your milk supply, pregnant or not

One should eat & drink *while* breastfeeding because more milk producing hormones are secreted while eating.

And things we should avoid:

Vitamin B6, aka Pyridoxine (which knocks out most/all? prenatal vitamins)

"4. Do not take vitamin B6 supplements, as they may contribute to lowered milk production." (from healthweb.com)

"The following medications can decrease breast milk production...

* Antihistamines
* Sedatives
* Some decongestants
* Some weight loss medications
* Diuretics (including caffiene)
* Very high doses of Vitamin B6
* Some birth control pills, especially pills that contain estrogen" (from babycareadvice.com)

Decongestants: they dry up the nasal passages AND the boobies

Mint tea

Several sites list comfrey root as a helpful galactagogue (a substance that increases breast milk), but this article scared me: http://nobleharbor.com/tea/teahealth2.html

Galactogogues that are contraindicated for pregnancy:
goat's rue
sage
blessed thistle
fenugreek

And miscellaneous stuff:

A fabulous idea is to get a good supply of milk in your freezer before TTC, if possible. That way you can rely on that during the months your milk is decreased.

If you need to supplement a baby under 1 yr., & don't have breast milk available to do it with, your options are kind of sucky. There's formula, & there's goat & cow milk. Y'all know about formula, & here's some info on the suckiness of cow & goat milk:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...pplements.html
http://depts.washington.edu/nutrpeds...nfant.htm#goat

So, one would just have to pick what they think is the least of the evils I guess.

What I understand is this:
From 0-6 mos., breast milk (or formula) should fulfill a baby's need for nutrients & calories, from 6-12 mos. it should fulfill the majority of those two things, and from 12 mos up breast milk or formula is secondary to providing calories & nutrients, after solids. This is what I find in the mainstream sort of sites, I am certainly open to learning otherwise if this isn't the case.

Also, I don't know yet if one could take the More Milk Two herbal supplement AND drink RRL tea too. Would that be too much RRL?

So. This is what I've got so far.
If anyone has any info to add or wants to point out where I am wrong, by all means, please do!

Oh, one more thing. It's really interesting to search in the DDCs for the nursing threads. Pretty much every DDC has them, where the pregnant nursing mamas check in & talk about their experience.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
thanks

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I personally wouldn't be comfortable with getting pregnant before my baby is a year old, because I want to continue nursing as long as possible. I was able to nurse through my pregnancy and I am now tandem nursing, and I would do it all over again if I had to, but it can be hard and painful at times in my experience. I lost my supply when I was about 15-20 weeks when it was replaced with colostrum around 20 weeks. I stopped pumping after about 18 weeks because I was only getting a measly 1/2 ounce a day pumping. I didn't do anything to boost my supply though. I would have if my baby was younger (she was 13 months when I got pregnant).

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Quote:
Borage is also listed on Kellymom but it doesn't say on her site whether it's safe during pregnancy. Still researching that one...
What did you find out?

THANKS again for all that research, I have sent other moms here and I have saved it to my computer.

AImee

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Oh, what I learned is that borage is actually used as a uterine stimulant. You would only want to take it during the last days of pregnancy in hopes of stimulating your uterus into some laboring action.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
We are TTC but no period yet DD is 6 mo old, so my question is how many of you got pregnant whlie bfing?? Were your periods back yEt? hOw old was your nursling? Did it cause supply problems?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
We are TTC but no period yet DD is 6 mo old, so my question is how many of you got pregnant whlie bfing?? Were your periods back yEt? hOw old was your nursling? Did it cause supply problems?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
14 months my cycles started again. I nursed each baby until 2 years, at which point I was pregnant with the next baby by a couple of months. Yes, it caused supply problems.

By that time I was tired, sore, - but the biggest reason for weaning was I was starting to have a bad emotional reaction to it. I think that I was ignoring my bodies warnings that I was overtaxing myself and so the last line of defense was to start the emotional reactions going. They were mainly nursing at night.

Sometimes you need to honour your own bodies demands. :>

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Quote:
Not on how many women have a decrease in milk supply while pregnant
I believe -- i was reading last night, but momma brain -- that Adventures in tandom nurseing quotes 70% as having some effected milk production, but not all loose it totally.

Aimee

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Quote:
Vitamin B6, aka Pyridoxine (which knocks out most/all? prenatal vitamins)

"4. Do not take vitamin B6 supplements, as they may contribute to lowered milk production." (from healthweb.com)
before i re-invent the wheel ---- did anyone do any research on pre-natals with out B6 or with lowers levels of b6??

or has anyone tried not taking it and seen any difference?

I am still taking my old pre-natal, and TTC while my 12 month old is 90% bf.

thanks

Aimee

1 - 20 of 20 Posts