Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing personal growth through being forced to give up control of some things

I have been really sick. And I have been very fortunate that my DH and other family have stepped up to the plate in a big way with household duties and other things.

It has been hard to relinquish control of some things though. I take a lot of pride in the way that I feed my family. I haven't cooked a thing in the last 6 weeks or more, and am so very thankful that other people have pitched in to feed my toddler and DH. Even though a lot of it has been things that haven't been in my refrigerator or cupboards for years, my daughter is fed and so am I.

Letting someone else clean your bathroom can be a humbling experience.

I feel very blessed both because of the help I have received and the lessons I have learned in letting go. It actually makes me a little teary.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Oh yes!!!

I stayed with my inlaws for most of my pregnancy (moved in with my parents toward the end to be closer to my hospital...DH is away doing military stuff and no one wanted me to be alone) When I started to get REALLY big my inlaws stopped asking me to help out with daily chores and I kind of stopped offering when I got particularly tired. DH told me that if they didn't ask it meant they didn't mind my not helping...but I felt like such a freeloader! My parents weren't any better. My mom wouldn't even let me help carry in groceries!

It's worse now that the baby is here. I'm with my parents for a while and it's SO HARD for me to let them help. They'll keep the baby for a few hours at a time (he sleeps quite well when he actually sleeps) and let me nap.

It's really hard for me to let others take care of me.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I'm there with you. My Dh already is amazing with the house, so that's not an issue. I am currently on modified bedrest because of a small tear at the edge of my placenta. It is hard to realize that you are in fact somewhat vulnerable and need help. I just talked to my stepmom and we are making a plan for them to take a few days off next week to help with DD, so that I can rest and heal. That's the biggest thing, rest....I just need to do it.

I hear you on the cooking, I didn't cook at all my first tri with DD. This time though sicker I did, but it was only vegetarian for a month or so. I have to just take it easy right now and let my family and friends help me.

Depending on the outcome of my next u/s I may be on bedrest or I will be back to normal, as long as I am mellow it should all heal and baby and I will both be just fine. I realize right now my biggest job is growing a healthy baby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.