Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we have the Baby's stuff together...what do you need/want for the Birth?

I have a midwife, but I'm planning on UC, jic...because I went too fast for her to get here last time. So this is my list:

Pregnancy:
Henna Belly Painting Kit
Belly Casting Rolls and un-petroleum jelly
photographer for belly pictures
:
oh, and we get a family picture taken right before I deliver each time

For the Birth:
Momma Pads
New Birth Ball (my other one was popped!)
new hose and adapter

I ordered from In His Hands:
peri bottle
chux pads
those beautiful mesh undies that I love so much! (No, really I do!)

I also need:
Goldenseal Powder for the cord
Herbs for the placenta - don't know which yet, I'm planning on my first Lotus Birth!
vinyl/cloth tablecloth for under the tub

I have:
placenta bowl
big pot for sitz baths for after
Arnica

Looking forward to reading others, so I can add anything I forgot or didn't think of!
:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I want a
belly cast kit
hypnobirth
labor pool

Midwife Requires
Her birth supplies kit
1 large bath towel
4 recieving blankets
4 white washcloths
crock pot
1 large plastic floor cover
Newspapers
Peri Bottle of Olive Oil
Goldenseal capsules
Honey
2 large garbage bags
Steel Placenta Bowl
Cram Bark tincture
2 rolls whit paper towels
2 sets bed linen
Snacks

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Oh this is fun!

For pregnancy:
Portraits (I have done these with 5 of my babies)
Belly cast (did one with my last)
Henna

For Birth:
Aquadoula (we are buying one that I will rent out later)
Mama Pads (I started aquiring a stash over the last year)
New music
Birth kit (we order from Cascade-midwife has her standard, but I always order extras)
New tie-dyed shirt to labor in
New tie dyed shirt for baby to wear right after birth

For Baby:
Lots of knitted wool
New cloth diapers (some I will make, others I will get from friends)
Organic kimonos
Organic socks
Organic blankets
New sling

I reserve the right to add to this list!

·
Registered
853 Posts
For Pregnancy:
belly cast kit

For Birth:
massage oil
chux pads
need to figure out what I am going to use to tie the cord
kiddie pool to labor and maybe birth in (my last one was destroyed this summer)
birth ball
some fruit for snacks
Probably some juice
(I know I am missing some stuff probably)

For after:
depends(I hate getting blood all over)
some overnight type pads with wings for after the heavy bleeding is over
some good food( i was starving after the last birth and this time we have up to $500 of take out we can get reimbursed from my husbands work)
some comfy pj's to wear afterwards

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Rescue remedy, and bendy straws.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I don't really need much as my own clinic will supply me with blue pads, and the other birth supplies. My partner midwife has an Aqua Doula tub I can borrow.
I guess I just need some drop-sheets for the floor, and some plastic for the bed. Everything else I can dig up (like old towels and facecloths). I already have enough mama cloth. I don't put anything on the umbilical cord, which we will be cutting as we are doing cord blood storage because of my ds's medical condition. I will get some good food in for the midwives and my support people, and nice stuff for me, too (I loathe eating and drinking in labour, so it has to be appealing). I would also like to make a birth soundtrack for my iPod for background music to relax to. My midwife carries homeopathics and tinctures, so I don't need to buy these. I think I will get everything together around 36 weeks, and just store it all together in a laundry hamper or something.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
similar list here... i buy a birth kit from midwiferymercantile.com (check it out)...my midwife sells her kit through there...so i don't remember everything that's in it. we have most of our herbs already and she is an herbalist and supplies us with whatever we need...

so our list is
birth kit
more towels
some "new" toys to entertain our son during birth
some witchhazel/yarrow mix for sitz bath
lots of food (i'm going to try and really stock up with already-made things for during and especially after the birth)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Oh and I have a belly casting kit - a gift from a very generous MDC mama client
:, as I have belly casts from my two other kids hanging in my office. My friend who did the casts is now a midwife in my practice, so it is great that she can do this one again. I get them done at the same time, about 36-38 weeks. To digress, I love them because they were my babies, but also because I was a big, luscious plus-sized pregnant woman, and they hang in my office for everyone to see!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's sweet! I love my belly casts, too. I only have one from my third though, cause I didn't know about them for my first two
and my fourth came the day I was planning on doing it!
:

Oh, and I wanted to add to my list a nice black sports bra for laboring in the tub and a comfy nursing friendly nightgown to change into after the birth.

·
Registered
914 Posts
For pregnancy:

A henna kit

For birth:

My mw's birth kit has most of the stuff, including those ded-sexy mesh undies. (I love them too)
More towels, preferrably some big fluffy, expensive ones
:
An extra set of sheets, we only have one and if I soak the bed, I want someone to be able to change the sheets, darnit!
Potato soup fixin's, for the mw's to make while I'm laboring. That's what my $3200 gets me.

Some pineapple juice
Some all-fruit popsicles

For right after birth:
A coupla comfy nursing tank tops, this will be a total splurge for me and I'm excited!
Some pads. What are these mama things ya'll are talkin' bout?

I'm sure I'll add more. Maybe we should make a sticky or something to remind ourselves and get ideas from each other as we get closer?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just going to try to clean my wondeful 7ft claw foot tub( before Iam in labor this time) I love that tub.

I want to belly cast this one, ran out of time with the last baby.
Other then that I do my own birth kit, and after bath herbs, I always have fun making bath herbs.

I really want to sew or knit something special for baby to ware after the birth, something that they can pass on to their children.

And... I want to do a video of this birth, or picture by picture kind of thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts