Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure where to post this....so its posted in a coupl eof places. I'm looking for a good, thorough pregnancy book but not a mainstreem one (last preg i had what to expect when you're expecting...don't want that again). any advice for a good nfl/ap pregnancy book? thanks so much

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sheila Kitzinger's "The Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth" is my favorite. A lot of people like Dr Sears "Pregancy Book" (I don't--but I might if it were my first baby).

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
This may not be the typical pregnancy book but i swear its amazing, and has the most amazing real photos of developing babies starting from conception. It pretty much follows the baby's development-incredible!

its called "A Child Is Born" cant remember the author and im too lazy to go find the book

if you are intersted and cant find it -which i doubt i think its famous-just pm me and ill get off my lazy butt!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I am in the middle of reading a book by Jill Aviva Romm. I can't remember the title but it's something like "The Natural Pregnancy" or "Your Natural Pregnancy" but something with "Natural" and "pregnancy" in the title. It has a lot of info about herbs, nutrition, exercise, and many natural methods for preventing and relieving common pregnancy discomforts. I am really enjoying it and this one will definetly become my pregnancy "bible" when I am actually pregnant. It's kind of like "What to Expect" as far as info, but the exact opposite of mainstream!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reccomendation for "a chidl is born" is kind of funny to me because that was the book my mom used to teach me about how baby's are made!!! haha

thanks for the recommendation for aviva romm's book. i hadn't realized she wrote a pregnancy book. i have a great book by her on herbal medicine for children and I love it so I will definately check out her pregnancy book

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just ordered the Mothering magazine pregnancy & birth book, but can't hink of the exact name right now. Is it any good? I'd think so... considering which website we are at!

Also, from where my beleifs stand, Kitzinger is good too.
I haven't gone through pregnancy or birth yet, but study it & have attended a couple births.

Good luck finding an appropriate one. Maybe also trying heading to your local large bookstore & check out some for yourself!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I hate to say this (considering the website we're at!) but I was sorry I bought the Mothering pregnancy book... it seemed that everything in it was already on the website--no real new info, alas.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I don't like Sheila K's writing style (otherwise, her books are good) but I love Penny Simkin's books. "Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn" is a good overall pregnancy book, to me. I think there's also a book can "The Complete Guide to Pregnancy" by either Sheila or Penny. Mabye I'm having a brain fart on that one though.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:
it seemed that everything in it was already on the website--no real new info, alas.
That's actually how I feel about a lot of the Dr. Sears books...once you've read one of them, you've got the basic information that's expanded on in all of them.

For the OP...if you're not looking for a "this is what is happening/when" book, you might want to check out "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth". It's not a how-to book as such, but I enjoyed reading the stories.

For a more detailed book though my money is still on the Simkin, Kitzinger, and England books.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts