Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure where to post this....so its posted in a coupl eof places. I'm looking for a good, thorough pregnancy book but not a mainstreem one (last preg i had what to expect when you're expecting...don't want that again). any advice for a good nfl/ap pregnancy book? thanks so much

·
Registered
347 Posts
My HB midwife just gave me a two page, categorized, list of (non mainstream) recommended books that her clients over the years have found useful. Its a really helpful list. If you would like a copy I can scan and send it to you in PDF format. Just PM me if you want a copy.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My favorite book has been "Birthing From Within" by Pam England. It is great for non-drug pain relief techniques and for helping you feel empowered as a birthing mama!

For more technical details, I would recommend "Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn" by Penny Simkin et. al. It is full of information, and presents multiple sides to different issues, although I find it leans a bit toward the left (i.e. tells the truth!) If could only have had one book on pregnancy/birth, this would have been it!

Let me know if you want any more details on these books...and good luck!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also have "pregnancy, childbirth and the newborn," and have enjoyed it. I think that the format could be a bit better, though, and as a first time pregnant lady I wish they would have explored the normal experiences of pregnancy in a little more depth -- sometimes I will start to have a new body thing going on and the book is not much help. I also have a book called "the whole pregnancy handbook" by joel evans, md. I find that the format of that book is more accessible and goes into more detail about the symptoms and physical changes of pregnancy, but I have not really enjoyed what he has to say about the actual birth and thinking about it in an alternative way (we are having a homebirth). For birth prep, I am really enjoying "birthing from within as well."

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Sears' The Baby Book and The Pregnancy Book are both really good. Yep, they are accepted in the mainstream...but they are certainly AP. The Baby Book has lots of good info, it's one of the things I give to pregnant friends who aren't (or not yet) AP.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dr. Sears:
- The Pregnancy Book (best I've found, takes you month by month)
- The Baby Book (my bible - still!)
- The Breastfeeding Book (fabulous book)

All by Dr. Sears. Really cheap used on ebay.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm going to ditto the Dr Sears rec. The Pregnancy Book took me through both pregnancies and it was very thorough. I LOVE the Baby Book. I thumb through it to learn about development...used it for breastfeeding/solids information...and it is absolutely invaluable every time my daughter has been ill. I love his style...laid back and matter of fact.

His Breastfeeding book and Attachment Parenting book are also quite good, but most of the info in those are in the Baby Book.

·
Registered
726 Posts
aviva jill romm, the natural pregnancy book. it's the best: herbal recipes, a great section on nutrition, and a thorough, holistic-minded (but not preachy!) approach to virtually anything you might want to know. her naturally healthy babies and children is great, too.

*j

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.