Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does anyone know about "pregnancy depression"??

I have a 2 year old, and I didn't feel this way in my first go-round. I am generally feeling depressed. Just ... bummed all the time. Not about anything. I'm grateful and pleased with life. We have our small problems, but nothing serious. I try to eat well, though I guess I could get better at it. I just feel often that I'm in a dark space, drowning in sadness, over nothing! Then it's compounded by the fact that there's nothing wrong, in fact everything's great and we're so blessed - so I feel guilty for not being more grateful!

What do we know about nutrient deficiencies leading to depression? I know this happens with PPD? How will I know? I take a great prenatal, eat square meals, very little junk food (though I crave gatorade, drink one small one every day or every other day).

Any ideas? I am trying not to take antidepressives, though I'm not categorically against these.

thanks!

joanna

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
My PPD with my second birth actually began in the middle of the pregnancy.
It was really hard.

If you are early in your pg (sorry I don't know how far along you are?) then it could be simple hormones and fatigue and will pass in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I'm pregnant with a two year old, too. I'm finding that this pregnancy is just very different from the first one and it wears me down. With baby #1 everything is new and exciting, even morning sickness. We could nap whenever we wanted and our partners (friends, family, coworkers...) doted on us.

The 2nd time around we hardly have any time for ourselves, what with caring for toddlers and everything that entails. My DH frequently "forgets" I'm pregnant. My family assumes this is old hat and doesn't offer any help. It sucks to be sick and tired all the time.
I think depression is often a sign of exhaustion.

The thing that really helped me (since ranting at DH that I need more rest didn't work), was getting an ultrasound. I know it sounds odd. I didn't plan to have one. But I wasn't feeling any bond with this baby at all; it was just an inconvenience a lot of the time. Seeing the baby and finding out the sex made it much more real, and easier to tolerate everything else. It took 23 weeks, but I'm finally excited about this baby.

Hope you find some relief soon.
s

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YOu know what's so funny, I think I wasn't eating enough! The doctor told me to gain more weight so now I"m forcing myself to eat more, and it is helping. Weird, since last pregnancy I was shoveling food into my mouth...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.